Calculate frequency of x-ray tube

johnboyman

Joined Jun 1, 2019
I have read tones about microwaves and insert frequency nbeing mentioned all the time but recently I was thinking about building an x-ray machine but I want to understand first . Why don't I see anyone mention frequency in forumulas. How do I calculate output frequency of an x ray tube.thanks for any tips .bye

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The frequency of radiation depends on the energy the electrons are accelerated to, which is the voltage applied.

A microwave tube is an entirely different thing. It oscillates at the frequency of the emission. An x-ray tube does not.

Bob

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
X-ray radiation can be dangerous and I don't think it's something you should mess with. :eek:

A Google search gave this:
X-ray, electromagnetic radiation of extremely short wavelength and high frequency, with wavelengths ranging from about 10−8 to 10−12 metre and corresponding frequencies from about 10^16 to 10^20 hertz (Hz).

That's well above typical microwave frequencies.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

Attachments

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The frequency of visible light is 480 to 750 Tera-Hertz. The corresponding wavelengths are 400-650 nanometers. So X-rays are going to be higher in frequency and smaller in wavelength. IMHO, X-rays are a wideband phenomena and you are unlikely to be able to generate them in any kind of narrow band fashion.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The frequency of visible light is 480 to 750 Tera-Hertz. The corresponding wavelengths are 400-650 nanometers. So X-rays are going to be higher in frequency and smaller in wavelength. IMHO, X-rays are a wideband phenomena and you are unlikely to be able to generate them in any kind of narrow band fashion.
Yes, he's unlikely to generate anything beyond "Bremsstrahlung" radiation with some random DIY X-ray tube.
"Bremsstrahlung" is wide-band but Characteristic X-Rays are specific to elemental atomic electron energy bands and bombarding electron energy. You can tune energy with specific element anode targets to produce narrow-band X-ray emissions. You can also flip this process to analyze X-ray emissions into the elements that produced the radiation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy-dispersive_X-ray_spectroscopy

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Don't mess with it unless you have some experience with high voltage and X-Ray safety. There is a whole lot to learn about both, and not having thorough knowledge of relevant safety practices can cost you your life, either very quickly or painfully very slowly.

Martin_R

Joined Aug 28, 2019
I used to service medical X-ray machines for Siemens healthcare. I can say you would be hard pushed to build an X-ray tube. The electronic side is also a formidable task. The X-ray generators are 30-100Kw in power, and the tube kv ranges between 40 to 150kv d.c. You also need to set the exposure time and tube current to get the correct exposure on the film. Not an easy or safe task.