Cadence Allegro 16-17: Windows & Linux version diferences. Wine compatibility

Circuiteromalaguito

Joined Apr 24, 2015
Hello.

These days I'm forced to use Cadence Allegro at my Vocational School. I'm preparing my systems and received the software from my study center, but I have some donuts:

• Anyone tried Cadence Allegro for both Windows and Linux? How's the experience?
    • I did read some parts not work. like certain simulation aspects. Is is true in 2016 or that got solved?
    • I see they used infamous MinWin to port it. They would have used Winelib instead, but okay.
  • How does the Windows version works under Linux?
    • I'm installing Linux now, but got distracted and collected some information in order to do things properly.
    • I really HATE Windows. I don't like how it works and how delicate is it.

http://www.edaboard.com/thread233306.html

Cadence uses Mainwin to port Windows based application like Allegro/DEHDL on linux and other unix ports. However AMS Simulator or PSpice is not yet ported on Linux.
http://www.edaboard.com/thread226646.html
Orcad Capture/ CIS or Allegro Design Entry is a "WINDOWS ONLY" tool. You cannot use it on native Unix. Not sure if you can use WINE on Linux and operate Orcad. I have not done it myself.
My systems:
Core i7 laptop 8GB RAM and GTX860M (thanks, scholarship one year later).
Oldie Opteron 2GB ram. Who cares, this thing can't with most of that software.
Maybe in the future: A new desktop.

Cadence allegro is the best powerful EDA tool suit. Just run it with wine support in linux.
Have a fun.
Thanks in advance!

Circuiteromalaguito

Joined Apr 24, 2015
The software is not something I'm familiar with but if 16.6 is the most recent version then it would seem to work pretty well in Linux.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=29868

That last check is pretty old (almost 2 years) so it might work even better now.

Sorry, but that's the free viewer. It's not about the full software.

I already looked at winedb, but the software and reviews are often not enough updated and not exhaustive testing is done most of the time :(

Orcad 16.x under Wine 1.6

What works
OrCAD Capture schematic editor.

What does not

What was not tested
Anything else besides Capture.

Additional Comments

Installer ran with no problems. I configured the tool to use our license server which worked with no problems.

I have not done exhaustive testing yet but basic schematic editing, loading and saving work fine. Printing works to the default host printer.
I also found this Cadence' supported platforms matrix (pdf attached too) but there's no indication about the support degree on non-Windows platforms.

It seems funny the most updated source about wine compatibility is in Chinese

Thanks for looking at it, anyway.

Attachments

Last edited:

mvaseem

Joined Jan 31, 2014
One thing to mention - Are you looking for PCB-Board schematic to layout flow only or you intend to do some Spice simulation (using Pspice) ?
As far as I know, Pspice is not supported on Linux. So for simulation only windows option is there.
Rest all works pretty well on Linux - 16.6 is fine.

Circuiteromalaguito

Joined Apr 24, 2015
One thing to mention - Are you looking for PCB-Board schematic to layout flow only or you intend to do some Spice simulation (using Pspice) ?
As far as I know, Pspice is not supported on Linux. So for simulation only windows option is there.
Rest all works pretty well on Linux - 16.6 is fine.
Do you mean even 16.6 and 17 "native" ports in their latest versions lack PSice? What shitty port have they done? WOW!!!

I need everything. As a minimum, 100% PSice compatibility.