Cable/DSL Auto disconnect

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
My cable modem/ISP is auto disconnecting me from the Internet. It is not a problem with my router (signal strength, etc.), but I have had this problem before.

I know there are settings in IE, I am using IE7, which you can set up the dial-up's idle time to 0. However, I have COX cable, so these do not matter.

At one time I found a tip searching Google. In the command line you can set a parameter to -1. For the life of me I cannot find this tip anymore.

Does anyone have any idea?

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
My cable modem/ISP is auto disconnecting me from the Internet. It is not a problem with my router (signal strength, etc.), but I have had this problem before.
i have a similar problem and it gets worse when using a p2p.
i think my problem has to do something with the server(of the service provider) or router.
reinstalling XP or using IE or firefox didnt help.
i also think the issue could be poor wiring,the wiring is so badly done by yours truly that it gives the wiring personnel nightmares:D....but in your case i dont think that would be a problem.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003

I know there are settings in IE, I am using IE7, which you can set up the dial-up's idle time to 0. However, I have COX cable, so these do not matter.

At one time I found a tip searching Google. In the command line you can set a parameter to -1. For the life of me I cannot find this tip anymore.

Does anyone have any idea?
Can I ask: Have you updated the modem driver recently? Has the router firmware been recently updated?

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have had the same problem, it usually has to do with dynamic IP addressing. Once a day the IP provider changes your IP address, and if the router doesn't keep up it locks. One way to test for this is to either disconnect power or push the reset button, if it has one. Part of the boot up for a router is to ask the IP provider for a new address.

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
This nonsense continues to happen even with the magical setting I used a while ago. It's either my IE settings, router settings, or with the ISP itself.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
Is the type of connection DSL/ADSL?

I have read that this problem is often common to these types.

Also do you get any error reports?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
With me it started happening when I changed routers. I wouldn't rule out the ISP changing their settings though.

If you power down or reset the router, does the connection come back? This is a diagnostic of the problem. I asked this before, but didn't get an answer.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
With me it started happening when I changed routers.
That is why my first question in this was asking about driver/firmware updates. Is there a possibility to do driver roll back for the modem or drop back to a previous version of the firmware to see if this has any impact?

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
So I'll ask it again, if you reset your router, either with the power or with the push button, is contact reestablished?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I have never updated my firmware on my Linksys router. So I do not know what the problem is.
Further to Bill points: has Windows Update or other dedicated update program updated the driver (WU in Vista does this but I cannot recall about previous version, OEM might have their own apps to do this)?

Check through Device Manager.

Dave

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Thinking about it, Linksys was my problem child. I finally retired the router, I have used Speedstream (burned up several due to cooling issues) and AirLink 101 with good results.

Distort10n

Joined Dec 25, 2006
The autodisconnect phantom manifests itself with an annoying Windows dialog box "You are not connected to the internet" after some time (10 minutes of idle time). And I get "Work Offline" or "Try Again" boxes.
I hit "Try Again" and I am reconnected. I have no settings in IE about idle time...that should be for dial up users AFAIK.