Cabinet Organizer System

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi,

I am planning to make a system which shows where different items are stored. Let's assume that I have four cabinets with different items stored in them. I want the system to automatically (without user intervention) detect that the item is in the respective cabinet.
The first option that I considered was to use an RFID, where I connect tags to each item so that I can track where each item is stored. After some research I realized that RFID tags have quite a small reading distance. I want the reading distance to be about 1m to 1.5m (ideally not more and not less). There are high frequency tags but they with come at a cost. What other options can I use to implement this application? A barcode system is a good option, but it would require the used to scan the item each time it is used. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
If you find a good answer to this NASA will be at your door. :D They are trying to do the same thing so items don't get lost on the International Space Station.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi,

I am planning to make a system which shows where different items are stored. Let's assume that I have four cabinets with different items stored in them. I want the system to automatically (without user intervention) detect that the item is in the respective cabinet.
The first option that I considered was to use an RFID, where I connect tags to each item so that I can track where each item is stored. After some research I realized that RFID tags have quite a small reading distance. I want the reading distance to be about 1m to 1.5m (ideally not more and not less). There are high frequency tags but they with come at a cost. What other options can I use to implement this application? A barcode system is a good option, but it would require the used to scan the item each time it is used. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
How many different items? In what quantities? Each individual item has a unique asset number assigned? Budget?
Penny and nickel value parts? The system costs more than the parts.
It might be easier to use humans. Inventory technician or maybe an inventory service that comes in once a week, takes inventory and restocks as needed.

hp1729

Joined Nov 23, 2015
Hi,

Thanks.
More cost effective but not quite meeting your specs is a bar code system where everything gets scanned going in and out of the cabinet.