C++ Windows AMCAP Sample Code

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
hello, so, i have found a solution (i think) to incorporating video into my PC client for a robotics project, but im a little confused with the sample code i have found.
It's called AMCAP, AMCAP MSDN, and going through the code, i just cant find a main function, and cant find a definitive start end point for the code at all.
Sadly it requires the directshow baseclasses to be compiled first, and therefore the SDK needs to be downloaded. so limited people will want to/be able to help. but i just cant understand this code... cant even see where it gets the video stream!!!!
As always, i know i perhaps ramble.. or miss details out, so please ask me questions and ill respond soon as :)
Cheers,
Chris

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
With heavily object oriented programming, there is typically no main function. Instead, instantiating an object causes its child objects to kick off any code they perform. It becomes nigh impossible to follow the code path without much insight into the objects and their implementations.

I am not familiar with AMCAP, but it seems interesting, so, provided its just a SDK download, I'll probably download it sometime in the next few days.

Until then, there will be an entry point that kicks everything off, you could always put breakpoints everywhere to see what gets called when....

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I actually played with a few of the directshow sample programs. I reworked one that could show a video on it's window into a dll to load video into any program (as I needed it for an app written in Delphi).

I no longer have the SDK, I just started a download so if I still remember it in 27 hours I'll poke back at it.

chrisw1990

Joined Oct 22, 2011
I found out from a mate that windows apps have a function called winmain() and then found it within moments.. how irritating :(
still, im starting to trace this back..
ErnieM, i posted a while back about using a USB capture device.. this software recognises that device, and means i can get the video on the PC with it... kinda cool, but it has problems, like some unknown issue i believe when it loads the video in S-Video mode and it should be in composite mode.. dont really understand the crossbar stuff (where the issue seems to occur)..
The other problem i have, is that the code.. i think.. uses WPF as opposed to the easier visual gui development method, which means i dont understand how its created the top file bar etc.. (something you would see upon running the app).
so to recap, progress on the video display front but unsure how the GUI is done and therefore how it displays the video in the UI, and what the "crossbar" does.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Oh crap... for some reason I can't download the dev kit... possibly Microsoft noticed I'm trying to DL the Win7 kit on an NT machine. Been too long to extract any detail from memory and I would have to refer to the samples to say anything meaningful.