C++ learning tips

LightningWalrus

Joined Mar 15, 2016
If you are willing to work for 15$/h and have a decent portfolio you can get a job fairly quickly.
Jeeesus, last wage i had was 8 euro per hour. And it was back breaking labor on the fields. 15$/h would be cool !

Question a bit our of topic: If i want to make a program to display my alerts on my desktop bar

Or just as a pop up in my firefox. I guess if i make my alerts pop up in the browser it would work like an extension then i need JavaScript and XUL. But if i want to track my alerts on my desktop bar, what language would i need ?

hellifino

Joined Jul 2, 2015
Arduino of personal scale isn't going to teach you anything above entry level C. Honestly I would not hire someone that only knows how to program micros. This comment will probably get some hate, but it's true. You will spend significantly more time learning circuits than the amount of time it takes to program the arduino - which is fantastic for learning circuits.

As others recommend.. there's always video games. For C++ try Unreal engine, the community is huge and there are plenty of youtube videos.

However that also has it's limitations. I would recommend thinking of a project for yourself and building that. Make a simple web server or something you find appealing. Then write software to stress test it... then figure out why your design is slow and redesign it.

Pretty much any software that's been created a million times is going to have a large enough amount of data on Google to provide you enough paths to learn a large variety of concepts when you dig through forums. Somewhere along the way you will find some concept that interests you more, and you will jump ship and try building something else. Etc, this process never ends.

LightningWalrus

Joined Mar 15, 2016
Arduino of personal scale isn't going to teach you anything above entry level C. Honestly I would not hire someone that only knows how to program micros. This comment will probably get some hate, but it's true. You will spend significantly more time learning circuits than the amount of time it takes to program the arduino - which is fantastic for learning circuits.

As others recommend.. there's always video games. For C++ try Unreal engine, the community is huge and there are plenty of youtube videos.

However that also has it's limitations. I would recommend thinking of a project for yourself and building that. Make a simple web server or something you find appealing. Then write software to stress test it... then figure out why your design is slow and redesign it.

Pretty much any software that's been created a million times is going to have a large enough amount of data on Google to provide you enough paths to learn a large variety of concepts when you dig through forums. Somewhere along the way you will find some concept that interests you more, and you will jump ship and try building something else. Etc, this process never ends.
Did i say anything about arduino ? My question was about how to programm an AVR microcontroller with C. And i've never had a thought about learning C for you or someone else to hire me. I'm not interested in making games at all. Though Building a server seems quite interesting and perhaps some day i will build one.

hellifino

Joined Jul 2, 2015
Did i say anything about arduino ? My question was about how to programm an AVR microcontroller with C. And i've never had a thought about learning C for you or someone else to hire me. I'm not interested in making games at all. Though Building a server seems quite interesting and perhaps some day i will build one.
The arduino comment refers to the other answers about using arduino to learn C* apologies for confusion. I answered directly to the OP in regards to self-interesting methods to learning C++, and honestly I do not see where you asked about AVR. Sorry

LightningWalrus

Joined Mar 15, 2016
The arduino comment refers to the other answers about using arduino to learn C* apologies for confusion. I answered directly to the OP in regards to self-interesting methods to learning C++, and honestly I do not see where you asked about AVR. Sorry
Haha, i should apologise for confusion with AVR microxontrollers - this was my other thread. As to C++ i found some interesting youtube videos to learn from. I was thinking about programming a microcontroller with C and learning some C++ as a hobby. Honestly i had a thought that if i get some skills i will probably can get some profit with them but it was my original idea to learn programming - it was simply an interest . Honestly i don't think that i will ever make any money with that because the world is full with programmers and and engineers, as well as it is full with software and hardware for all needs. But it's not a reason to programm for hobby.