Bypass capacitors

lyndia

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Hi,

I am choosing parts for a PCB I'm designing. While searching for bypass capacitors on Digikey I came across capacitors described as bypass/decoupling capacitors, and they are generally ~0.8 each. I was wondering whether these are really better than general purpose capacitors (less than 0.1 each).

Thanks

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hi,

I am choosing parts for a PCB I'm designing. While searching for bypass capacitors on Digikey I came across capacitors described as bypass/decoupling capacitors, and they are generally ~0.8 each. I was wondering whether these are really better than general purpose capacitors (less than 0.1 each).

Thanks

The "official" decoupling capacitors have generally less parasitic inductance than other types. Depending on the sort of frequency range/switching time your circuit is working at, you may get by will cheaper capacitors. Decoupling PCBs is a bit of an art form.

eric

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Are you referring to the X2Y capacitors? The datasheet for them describes some fairly specialized and high frequency (>10 GHz) applications as well as more mundane ones. They have four terminals.

John