Buying ic's

arthur92710

Joined Jun 25, 2007
whats better
7400: Quad 2-input NAND Gate
7401: Quad 2-input NAND Gate with Open Collector Outputs

What would be the best. A normal or one with open collector outputs?

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
It depends on the technology you use. If you are driving a TTL gate with a NAND gate, it doesn't make a difference if the output of the gate is open collector or not, since TTL inputs are driven in sink mode only. If you are driving a CMOS chip, then the story is different but with the same end result. CMOS inputs need to be both sinked and sourced. An open collector won't drive a CMOS gate per se. In that case you should use a collector resistor at each output of the 7401. 10K should be enough. Curiously, the 7400 also needs a resistor, but for a different reason, since TTL output levels are incompatible with the required CMOS input levels. So a TTL chip won't drive reliably a CMOS chip without a pull-up resistor at each output. Again, 10K should be enough.

P.S.: You only need resistors at the outputs that are effectively driving a CMOS chip.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
whats better
7400: Quad 2-input NAND Gate
7401: Quad 2-input NAND Gate with Open Collector Outputs

What would be the best. A normal or one with open collector outputs?
To summarize what cumesoftware stated, it depends on how you plan to use the logic gates in your design. For example, with open-collector gates you can tie the output of two or more of them together and provide a common pull-up resistor. This would allow you to hard-wire "OR" the gate outputs at least in the negative-logic sense.

hgmjr

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It really depends upon what you're planning on doing with them.

Most TTL gates have what is known as "totem pole" outputs; that is they can both source and sink current (not much, though).

Those that are listed as "open collector" means that they require a "pull up" resistor, or load connected between the output and Vcc, in order to give an output.

In other words, "open collector" outputs can SINK current (act as a ground), but they cannot directly SOURCE current (act as a voltage/current supply).

Open-collector outputs are very useful if you are attempting to interface with different technology IC's; for example CMOS. You could have a portion of your circuit in TTL, and use open-collector output TTL devices (in conjunction with pull-up resistors) to translate to the CMOS circuit.

What to use for pull-up resistors will depend upon the individual application, but 470 Ohms is quite popular.

There are resistor networks available in several forms, including SIP (single-inline pins), DIP (dual inline pins) and SMT/SMD (surface-mount technology/devices)

(ETA: I should know better than to post a reply that took me an extra 20 minutes because my spousal unit wanted me to do something :rolleyes:)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The "open collector" will work both ways. But using those makes it mandatory to have extra components to make them work; namely the pullup resistors.

It is better to have a few of each on hand - if you feel you must.

However, you may wind up with a garage that looks like mine does. :rolleyes: