Buying Electronic Components

buddyboy

Joined Aug 5, 2016
Hey, I am new to the forum and this is my first post..Just saying :p

I am currently invested in learning more about embedded systems with the Atmel AVR microcontroller and GCC-C programming. Now I am looking to purchase some electronic components for projects.

I am looking for advise on where you guys buy your electronic components? I was thinking Ebay but I have heard some stories of the quality being poor, is this the case? Or is it more reliable and just as inexpensive buying them from other online stores?

Where do you buy your components... also especially if you want to buy an initial array of components like kits and stuff? P.S I am UK based.

Information and advise would be appreciated.

k7elp60

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Welcome to ALL ABOUT CIRCUITS!
Please tell us your location, that will affect your places to get parts.
I use the following as I am located in USA: Jameco, Mouser, Digikey,Newark,Allied Electronics, All electronics, and possibly some more.
Again welcome to this forum.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I have been doing electronics at home (and at work) for many years so I have a good stock of common components. As you continue in electronics you will no doubt also build a collection. Initially I would suggest you buy just the components you need for your current project. I got to know the sort of components I often used in projects and when I was buying, if the project required 3 of some component I used often, then I ordered 10. And so the stock built.

I am in the UK and I used to buy from Maplin, Rapid, RS, and Farnell, but they have minimum order or large P&P charges, so now I mostly buy through ebay. I have had very few problems. I take notice of the sellers rating and I have found some sellers who stock 'my kind' of components and have given me good service, so I favour them.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hey, I am new to the forum and this is my first post..Just saying :p

I am currently invested in learning more about embedded systems with the Atmel AVR microcontroller and GCC-C programming. Now I am looking to purchase some electronic components for projects.

I am looking for advise on where you guys buy your electronic components? I was thinking Ebay but I have heard some stories of the quality being poor, is this the case? Or is it more reliable and just as inexpensive buying them from other online stores?

Where do you buy your components... also especially if you want to buy an initial array of components like kits and stuff? P.S I am UK based.

Information and advise would be appreciated.
Ahh.....such a question.
As early as 20 years ago, the venerable ARRL Handbook stated that the present day amateur needed to be his own parts procurement department.
To answer your question concisely.....all of the above.
I've been collecting parts for 40 years from every imaginable source...and some unimaginable ones.

Eric the Eclectic Electric

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Look everywhere, and find what you need at a price you can justify. I purchase parts from 70 different countries. Everything from 2.2" TFT LCDs to resistors. Pay absolutely as little as you can for resistors, LEDs, capacitors. But be warned-- it's easy to build up a small warehouse of parts-- be sure this is what you want to do long term (passion), or you may wind up with a small treasure of tens of thousands of components :) Sometimes, buying some parts in higher quantities will pay off-- LEDs, resistors, caps, etc.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Buy from reputable sources. eBay is okay, but stay away from people who sell lots of inexpensive parts and instead buy from Sellers who seem to have acquired an odd lot. Even the people who buy in quantity and repackage are unaware, or ignorant, of the fact that they're sometimes buying counterfeit or rejected parts.

Places like Newark guarantee the parts they sell are authentic.

Buy any parts you need for projects in quantity 100 or more. Over time, you'll build up stock of parts that you have actually used. Resistor and capacitor kits are probably an exceptional case where buying before you need is okay.

If you were in the US, I'd offer to barter parts with you. Over the years, I've purchased full reels of components to get a good price and I have many parts to trade for something more useful. Perhaps there are individuals in a similar situation in your area.

Whatever you buy, if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is. I buy things from AliExpress and Banggood knowing that they're likely low quality and/or counterfeit. I buy a small lot and decide if it's worth buying more. I recently did this for some wire jumpers with male/female header connectors on them. For less then US$3, I got 120 20cm jumpers for less than it would cost me for the wire. The quality isn't great, but for the price I can't complain.