Burned out SMD resistor in slushy machine

patrickbryanbedard

Joined Mar 4, 2022
Hi Everyone,

I am a complete amateur, have been working as a Electrician on ships for a few years. Slowly but surely learning electronics. Anyhow I'm writing to ask for advice on a broken slushy machine. I found the resistor on the control board is burned up, I can no longer read the value to replace and don't have a diagram. There's a capacitor next to the resistor, the output of this part of the circuit drives the refrigerant compressor. Is this what they call a bleed off circuit?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
It's Vevor slushy machine I don't have a manual haven't seen the name plate data.
If it's R1D, what makes you think it's bad? It looks like a 0 ohm resistor which shouldn't be able to dissipate enough power to cause it to open circuit. Have you measured it's resistance?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
It is a zero ohm resistor and they are commonly used as fusible links. I have a processer card from a washing machine where a wire carrying 240v came loose and touched another connector - the result is an exploded resistor. However that doesn't look so burnt to me - is it open circuit or not?

patrickbryanbedard

Joined Mar 4, 2022
Welcome to AAC!
If it's R1D, what makes you think it's bad? It looks like a 0 ohm resistor which shouldn't be able to dissipate enough power to cause it to open circuit. Have you measured it's resistance?
I did measure, it was in Mohms. Now that you're mentioning it, maybe it's not. It just kind of looked bad and the back of the board had some dis-coloration. Also the Compressor is not coming on..?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
If its burnt out and its the feed to the compressor then there's a reason its failed.... before replacing it you need to do some checking...

patrickbryanbedard

Joined Mar 4, 2022
If its burnt out and its the feed to the compressor then there's a reason its failed.... before replacing it you need to do some checking...
Totally agree, so a little more background: The machine was meant to be ran on 50hz(the ship makes 460v 220 per leg 60hz) so my co-workers hooked it up to a VFD. The VFD kept tripping because the it wasn't powerful enough to run everything. So they have it wired where the output pins of control board close a contactor which powers the compressor directly from the wall outlet. It seems a little questionable to me....hence this forum. Any help would be appreciated ☺

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
That looks like a series resistor and capacitor they probably are a suppression pair, is there any voltage on the compressor terminals?

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
Totally agree, so a little more background: The machine was meant to be ran on 50hz(the ship makes 460v 220 per leg 60hz) so my co-workers hooked it up to a VFD. The VFD kept tripping because the it wasn't powerful enough to run everything. So they have it wired where the output pins of control board close a contactor which powers the compressor directly from the wall outlet. It seems a little questionable to me....hence this forum. Any help would be appreciated ☺
Logically that should work - a contactor should be less of a load than the compressor. Surely such a machine would run well enough on 60Hz?

patrickbryanbedard

Joined Mar 4, 2022
Logically that should work - a contactor should be less of a load than the compressor. Surely such a machine would run well enough on 60Hz?

I think the worry was if the entire machine was ran on 60hz the augers/turbines etc... would spin too fast. They might have tried that originally, I wasn't around when it was installed. Just trying to make it work again per order of the Chief Engineer.