Building a transformer

Drmario5237

Joined Oct 14, 2018
Hello. What type of insulation paper should I use to separate the could on a transformer and what guage magnetic wire should I use to build a transformer. Is there a specfications to how many volts/amps I'm going to use or Hertz of current, ect. Thanks.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need to provide a lot more information.

1) Primary voltage.
2) Secondary voltage.
3) Secondary current or total volt-amp.
4) Frequency Hz.

Drmario5237

Joined Oct 14, 2018
You need to provide a lot more information.

1) Primary voltage.
2) Secondary voltage.
3) Secondary current or total volt-amp.
4) Frequency Hz.
120 volts ac primary, 360 volts secondary,. Whatever voltage/amps are created from the primary source being normal wall socket ac at a 1:3 ratio from primary to secondary,. 60 Hertz. Is there a formula for all this if I decide to go with different values later on down the line or in a different project

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Some wall outlets can put out 15-20A. You are looking at 1800W power.
You don't build a DIY 1800W transformer.
Why don't you buy what you need?

Drmario5237

Joined Oct 14, 2018
Some wall outlets can put out 15-20A. You are looking at 1800W power.
You don't build a DIY 1800W transformer.
Why don't you buy what you need?
What if I was to do my other project which is step up a rf signal in the millivolts range on the primary with a 1:3 ratio of step up on the secondary at 1592 kilohertz

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Is there a formula for all this if I decide to go with different values later on down the line or in a different project
There are many formulas. Wire properties by gauge, for instance. Then there’s all the geometry related to the core dimensions, giving you the length of the wire and the turns count. Once you know all that you can estimate the inductance. In other words, designing a transformer is not for squeamish. The one you’re describing is too dangerous to just wing it and hope for the best.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Designing even simple transformers get very complicated very quickly. Depending upon how tight yiur requirements you may have to build several versions, usually a minimum if two, begire you get the desired performance.

Take a look at the information at the link below to get an idea of the process. There are sime simplifications and shortcuts you can take if you understand the problem well enough.

https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Electronics/Transformer_Design