Building Europe to America transformer

bobank

Joined Nov 19, 2005
This is simpla 2:1 transformer, but problem is with frequency. American is 60HZ and European is 50Hz. Is it possible to build or even buy some transformer that I can use American appliances in the europe ( I am moving back after 20 yrs in America. I would like the simplies solution, to buy some of 3-5KW or to build one so I can run multiple appliances.
Please help. Thanks

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
You can certainly buy transformers for this task. I had a friend who had moved back from the USA and wanted to run his 120V 60Hz American exercise treadmill from 240V at 50Hz. I found a 1kVA 240:120V transformer which did the job just fine. The only issue is whether the appliances themselves will operate OK at 50Hz. Check the nameplates or user manuals for confirmation of this.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Motor's will probably won't operate.

Any item with a switch mode supply don't have trouble with frequency as far as I have seen.
But with active PFC ones, I doubt it.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What type of appliances?

TV might have an issue if it is NTSC video input only.

Motors might have issues.

Other small appliances should be OK if they have a Switching Power supply.

Big Appliances, such as washers and dryers, stoves and refrigerators, I wouldn't think would be worth moving.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here is a discussion: http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1224

You don't say what type of motors you have. That link does mention some of the differences. Do any of your motors run off a VFD (variable frequency drive)? Are any of the motors "universal" (i.e., rated AC or DC)? For appliances, there are probably no VFD's, but there might be universal motors.

John