Build an Arduino 101 Data Logger with the TI SensorTag

RK37

Joined Jun 26, 2015
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projects-preview/237704

I made a few revisions, and I have just one question, which is not technical in nature but rather related to the occasional imprecision of the English language.

"The SensorTag advertises for approximately 2 minutes (100 msec interval) upon power up (by pressing the right button)."

This could be interpreted as either "the correct button" or "the button on the right-hand side." I suppose the former is more likely, since "right" vs. "left" would depend on the orientation of the SensorTag. In either case, I think we need to clarify this section so that readers don't feel bewildered as to which button they should press.

Mark Hughes

Joined Jun 14, 2016
A couple of side-notes -- I have one sensor tag and tried ordering another from TI.com last week. TI has them back-ordered through September. You might want to pick a different vendor.

There is a phone app that can communicate with the sensor tags and update the firmware over the air -- readers might like to play with that.

Lastly, and this has nothing to do with the article, but might be of interest to Raymond: TI offers the XDS110 JTAG debug probe that attaches to the sensortag for $15. You can download Keil or Code Composer Studio and cause all sorts of trouble with the tag.
Mark

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/projects-preview/237704

I made a few revisions, and I have just one question, which is not technical in nature but rather related to the occasional imprecision of the English language.

"The SensorTag advertises for approximately 2 minutes (100 msec interval) upon power up (by pressing the right button)."

This could be interpreted as either "the correct button" or "the button on the right-hand side." I suppose the former is more likely, since "right" vs. "left" would depend on the orientation of the SensorTag. In either case, I think we need to clarify this section so that readers don't feel bewildered as to which button they should press.
Maybe right-side button would have been better, but I changed it to "power button". An easy way out I suppose, but that's how TI refers to it in their "teardown" and that is illustrated.

I also added two links for sources for the device. Mark is correct the TI store has them back-ordered. Both Newark and Digikey have them though, so I added those links.

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
A couple of side-notes -- I have one sensor tag and tried ordering another from TI.com last week. TI has them back-ordered through September. You might want to pick a different vendor.

/---/
Mark
Yep, I just checked with them online and they also told me that they were back-ordered (although they would not give an 'expected by' date). I added Digikey (~246 in stock) and Newark (~45 in stock). Thanks for pointing that out.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Hi, a few thoughts:

This link:

upload_2017-6-8_22-15-57.png
Goes to the same page as the teardown link. Is that your intention?

C:
unsigned int rawtem = (HUMValCharacteristic[0]) + (HUMValCharacteristic[1] * 256);
unsigned int rawhum = (HUMValCharacteristic[2]) + (HUMValCharacteristic[3] * 256);
Considering this is a worldwide site, could the name HUMValCharacteristic be a bit confusing, since it holds both temperature and humidity?

LED2 is connected to PIN 7 with a blue wire.
LED1 is connected to PIN 6 with a red wire.
For consistency, in this case, I'd prefer red wire to red led. But that's just me, I'll guess...

What happens when the SD card is filled up with data?

Nice article!

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Hi, a few thoughts:

This link:

View attachment 128510
Goes to the same page as the teardown link. Is that your intention?

C:
unsigned int rawtem = (HUMValCharacteristic[0]) + (HUMValCharacteristic[1] * 256);
unsigned int rawhum = (HUMValCharacteristic[2]) + (HUMValCharacteristic[3] * 256);
Considering this is a worldwide site, could the name HUMValCharacteristic be a bit confusing, since it holds both temperature and humidity?

LED2 is connected to PIN 7 with a blue wire.
For consistency, in this case, I'd prefer red wire to red led. But that's just me, I'll guess...

What happens when the SD card is filled up with data?

Nice article!
I think that it is very important that we all exercise some discretion in this open-area commentary on articles and I ask you to consider your comments in this case as to whether or not they are truly substantial and actually need to be expressed toward significant improvement of the article.

Note of course that the article came out yesterday

1. "Goes to the same page as the teardown link. Is that your intention?" - The intention is obvious and that is to link to the complete GATT Table, which it does correctly. The full GATT table is at the end of the page, which starts with a teardown. If you followed the link and you know what a GATT table is, then you should have been able to see that for yourself. On the other hand, if you know how to produce a link to that page that will bring the user to exactly the beginning of the GATT table, that would have been good information to have communicated and I would have, at the least, used that method in a future article.

2. "Considering this is a worldwide site, could the name HUMValCharacteristic be a bit confusing, since it holds both temperature and humidity?"

It makes no sense to me that the worldwide nature of the site would cause confusion with the variable name because that sensor is for both temperature and humidity. I don't even know what that means. The variable names are and should be chosen by the author of the program. If there is a very good reason to change one of them, I suppose it could be brought up, but the fact that AAC is world-wide site is not a good reason, or even coherant. If one were truly confused by that, I would hope that reading the referenced data sheets or the comments in the code would clarify the issue. I suspect that you did neither.

3. "LED2 is connected to PIN 7 with a blue wire.
For consistency, in this case, I'd prefer red wire to red led. But that's just me, I'll guess..."

Are you serious?? Do you honestly think that I am going to shut the device off, disassemble it, un-solder those two simple connections, reconnect them as you prefer, re-shoot the board, edit the photograph, contact a content editor and have them change the picture in the article...all because you would prefer that the color of one of the wires matches the color of one of the LEDs when illuminated?

When you hear yourself read a comment like that, does it sound to you like it is worth mentioning as though you have uncovered some critical flaw? Also, if you really want to press the compulsion...for consistency, wouldn't you prefer that I use green wire wrap for the green LED as well?

4. What happens when the SD card is filled up with data?

All life as we know it ends.

Come on Jens, you are better than this, no?. I think that you skimmed the article and felt some reason to comment even though you really didn't have much to say, Apparently, you felt some obligation to say something - at the least you could have seen the aberrant correction around "thermopilesSensor". In any event, you did give me a good laugh, so thanks for that :)