Bug "sniffer"

richbrune

Joined Oct 28, 2005
Does anyone know how I can convert a 310 Mhz garage door remote reciever into a "bug sniffer" so that I can locate which vehicle in the nearby parking lot has a stuck remote in it? The receiver that is included in the current receiver is a simple length of wire about 9 inches long or so, I think it must be 50 ohm. I'd like to know if I can adapt some kind of very directional antenna to it? Thanks again,
Rich

richbrune

Joined Oct 28, 2005
Seems like I'd need a 38" diameter "bean can" but I don't know how to calculate the position of the antenna that's enclosed. :confused:

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Look into making a Yagi. The ARRL site should have instructions. Add extra directors for a norrower beam - translates to improved directivity.

richbrune

Joined Oct 28, 2005
I made a Yagi antenna, out of a 2x4 8 feet long or so, with 9 directors, and took a similar 310 Mhz remote and jammed a toothpick in the button. I got a pretty strong, patchy response out of the front, an excellent "dead" area in the back, but I had a lot of strong reception from the sides. Is there a way to eliminate the reception from the sides?