HP1650B logic analyzer vs Open Logic Sniffer

quanttrom

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have the opportunity to buy a HP1650B logic analyzer and I am wondering if it is worth it.

I currently own a Open Workbench Logic Sniffer. I have used it a couple of times but it feels more like a toy rather than a real world useful logic analyzer.

From it's page I notice the Open Logic can analyze signals up to 70MHz and a sample size of 24k samples when using 8 channels

The HP 1650B seems to have a memory for 1024 samples/channel and max frequency of 100MHz.

Do you personally think the 1650B is a logic analyzer that I should spend money on ?

PS. First post on this forum :) I hope it is in the right section :)

Do you need it or want it?

If you want it, well, you have to answer that question.

If you need it, compare it capabilities to what you already have, including ease of use with your current setup.

It is definitely a nice piece of test equipment that is very capable of performing its task, for a very reasonable price if you are getting it used. And, it is definitely nice to have a stand alone piece of equipment when looking at a lot of data.

On the other hand, you say you own a Open Workbench Logic Sniffer that you have used "a couple of times." I would not buy something else unless this Sniffer does not meet your needs especially if you are not going to use it on a regular basis.