Boxes

Slanwar

Joined Mar 7, 2015
Where you guys get the boxes or "electronic enclosures" for your projects? Looking for metal and not plastic and the only thing I found was on ebay small boxes made of plastic.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Where you guys get the boxes or "electronic enclosures" for your projects? Looking for metal and not plastic and the only thing I found was on ebay small boxes made of plastic.
I've been buying mine from Amazon.com. They carry electronic enclosures from Bud Industries and other manufacturers, in all different sizes, styles and materials.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
ace hardware sells aluminum sheet, both solid and perforated. I have a sheet metal brake. you can also look at stores like hobby lobby for tin boxes. project enclosures are available from radio shack till they go away, and from theu usual vendors, Digikey and such.

Slanwar

Joined Mar 7, 2015
Found it on amazon, I wasn't typing the right combination and I kept getting junction boxes and storage boxes but soon I typed "project enclosure" i got some hits. Thanks guys!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Both Mouser and DigiKey have parametric searches for "boxes". Just select the correct filter for metal, e.g.,
upload_2015-3-18_9-37-36.png

That is from a DigiKey.com search for "boxes," which gave roughly 9282 hits.

John

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
That's my go-to favorite. Holiday cookies and candies are often sold in similar but larger tins. I buy them after the holiday for next to nothing, eat the chocolates and keep the boxes for upcoming projects.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
some stores like hobby lobby have an assortment of tin boxes like those candy and cake boxes.
also, some home stores have plastic boxes for mounting electrical stuff outdoors.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
AAC uploads 019.jpg AAC uploads 019.jpg

Unable to find an appropriate box for my PSU I drew out my dimensions on some stainless, and had my local AC sheetmetal shop bend and spotweld it for me...

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Unable to find an appropriate box for my PSU I drew out my dimensions on some stainless, and had my local AC sheetmetal shop bend and spotweld it for me...

how much did you pay for that?
I'm in a similar crux. I need a half-scale version of this console:

MPC Product Image Image.jpg

(just the top half, keyboard and screen area).
I cannot find ANYTHING that matches. I checked the usual Mouser, Digikey, Newark, Allied, etc. plus BUD, OKW, eBay, Amazon, Hoffman, Rittal, Omega, Hammond, Cooper, Weigmann, and more. I do not think it exists. So I am considering buying a press brake and making the damn thing myself. But if I can get it made locally for under $200, that would be an option worth considering.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But if I can get it made locally for under $200, that would be an option worth considering.
This is what I have usually ended up doing, get a local tin shop to make it, it turns out a bit cheaper than the usual enclosure vendors prices.
Max.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008

View attachment 82375

I cannot find ANYTHING that matches. I checked the usual Mouser, Digikey, Newark, Allied, etc. plus BUD, OKW, eBay, Amazon, Hoffman, Rittal, Omega, Hammond, Cooper, Weigmann, and more. I do not think it exists. So I am considering buying a press brake and making the damn thing myself. But if I can get it made locally for under $200, that would be an option worth
The guys at the sheet-shop were very good about it... I bartered a case of beer for the service

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

View attachment 82375

I cannot find ANYTHING that matches. I checked the usual Mouser, Digikey, Newark, Allied, etc. plus BUD, OKW, eBay, Amazon, Hoffman, Rittal, Omega, Hammond, Cooper, Weigmann, and more. I do not think it exists. So I am considering buying a press brake and making the damn thing myself. But if I can get it made locally for under $200, that would be an option worth considering.
There are several suppliers down here that would offer something like that (very professionally made, and with oven-processed electrostatic paint) for about $700 dlls

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012

View attachment 82375

Crenlo has an encore product line of kiosks to server enclosures to control panels. They hav a catalog of standard parts that let you configure your own or they will also do custom work. $200 won't even cover shipping though. I think you will be over $1k for the parts, possibly more.

http://www.crenlo.com/wp-content/uploads/PDFs/CRN.3000.01.13_esq_referencemanual_FINALw.pdf

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

MCU88

Joined Mar 12, 2015
There is an guy on eBay, username WonderCoBuy (or thereabouts) -- he is in Taiwan and sells many different projects enclosures. If you buy in lots of say 20pcs the price is good. I have purchased many boxes from him.