Bootstrap Capacitor Calculation Issue

DumbDummy77

Joined Jan 21, 2010
Hi

I am currently learning how to calculate the bootstrap capacitor for IR2110 Application. So far I have identified every parameters apart from one:

Qgate 27E-06
Frequency 21600
Icbs(leak) 0
Qls 5.00E-09
Vcc 14
Vf 0.78
Vls 4.5
Iqbs(max) 230E-06
Vmin ??

I use the forumla from Application Note AN-978 on page 6. At the moment I am not certain on how to obtain Vmin, I use a half bridge configuration and the voltage is about 100V and the IGBT is IRG4BC20UD.

Please explain me how to obtain Vmin?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Vmin = the minimum voltage between Vb and Vs.
Vb = the high side of Cboot.
Vs = the junction of the high side MOSFET source and the low side MOSFET drain; the load connection point.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
It depends on the MOSFET you're using.

If it's a standard level MOSFET, you'd want Vmin to be 10v.
If it's a logic level MOSFET, you'd want Vmin to be 5v.
If it's a very low threshold MOSFET, you could use a lower number for Vmin.

Cboot is what supplies the current to charge the MOSFET gate to turn it on. In order for a standard level MOSFET to be considered fully turned on, you need to get the Vgs (gate relative to the source voltage) up to 10v.

DumbDummy77

Joined Jan 21, 2010
It depends on the MOSFET you're using.

If it's a standard level MOSFET, you'd want Vmin to be 10v.
If it's a logic level MOSFET, you'd want Vmin to be 5v.
If it's a very low threshold MOSFET, you could use a lower number for Vmin.

Cboot is what supplies the current to charge the MOSFET gate to turn it on. In order for a standard level MOSFET to be considered fully turned on, you need to get the Vgs (gate relative to the source voltage) up to 10v.

Right I get the picture, for my application, I use IGBT such as RG4BC20UD at the moment. According to the datasheet, the Vge is +/-20V so that mean I apply 20V in Vmin. Is it correct?

I am struggling to understand it, to be honest with you. Can't you give me a design example? Hopefully i grasp the idea quickly

Regards

MM

Last edited:

S_lannan

Joined Jun 20, 2007
Nothing too complicated. Just make that voltage a suitable voltage to turn on the IGBT.
Try 15v it's what most IGBT gate drive circuits i've seen use.
It's somewhere inbetween VGE(th), which is the voltage where the device beings to conduct, and VGE(max), the maximum voltage you can put on the gate.

DumbDummy77

Joined Jan 21, 2010
Nothing too complicated. Just make that voltage a suitable voltage to turn on the IGBT.
Try 15v it's what most IGBT gate drive circuits i've seen use.
It's somewhere inbetween VGE(th), which is the voltage where the device beings to conduct, and VGE(max), the maximum voltage you can put on the gate.

What about MOSFET?

DumbDummy77

Joined Jan 21, 2010
Vmin is the difference between Vb and Vs. Hence since Vb is connected to Vcc which make 12V (Vcc = 12V). I am not sure about Vs to be honest. If I am mistaken about this, please correct me asap

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Right I get the picture, for my application, I use IGBT such as RG4BC20UD at the moment. According to the datasheet, the Vge is +/-20V so that mean I apply 20V in Vmin. Is it correct?
You need to look at the Vce(on) specification in the datasheet.
There you will find Vge=voltage - for that particular IGBT, it's 15v.

I am struggling to understand it, to be honest with you. Can't you give me a design example? Hopefully i grasp the idea quickly
If the design is simply handed to you, how much would you learn in the process?

You say you already have all the other numbers - plug them into the formula, and you'll have your result.

DumbDummy77

Joined Jan 21, 2010
You need to look at the Vce(on) specification in the datasheet.
There you will find Vge=voltage - for that particular IGBT, it's 15v.

If the design is simply handed to you, how much would you learn in the process?

You say you already have all the other numbers - plug them into the formula, and you'll have your result.
Thank you SgtWookie and I have another question to ask you do I need to connect correct resistor from the IR2110 to the gate of IGBT. If yes, what forumla should I use?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
This topic has been asleep for 21 months, and the original poster has not returned since the end of May. It is not likely that they still require help on this.

Please view the last reply date of the original poster before replying to a thread.