Boost Converter 12V to 120V

artmaster547

Joined Jan 6, 2016
Hi All
I am looking at creating a cascaded boost converter (Power 300W) (two boost converters), the first of which takes in 12V and outputs 50V @ 6A and the second takes in the 50V and outputs 120V @ 2.5A. I was thinking of using the following controller to do this from TI: LM5022. I wanted to enquire firstly if this is a good idea, if not has anyone got any suggestions?

I also wanted to enquire about inductor and capacitor choices I have followed the worked example and seem to be getting very unusual current values for an inductor I'm getting a peak current of near 100A which seems really unusual to me when comparing this with an online calculator from coil craft I get a much lower peak current around 25/26A, can anyone suggest which value I should trust, (I copied the switching frequency from the example of 500kHz). I also wanted to enquire what approach I should take with regards to selecting capacitors anyone have any suggestions for this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Art

Attachments

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I would go with a TL494 and a push-pull output with a transformer 10:1 ratio or slightly more , problem is that 300W is going to take 25Amp or more on 12V ..

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
It might be worth looking of the possibility of using a ready made 12 volt DC to 110 AC converter and modifying it. They work by first stepping the 12 volt DC up to a DC voltage somewhat higher than 110 volts. The switching is done at this high voltage to generate the stepped waveform to imitate the RMS value of a sine wave. I suspect (But don't know.) that the DC voltage is not as high as the peak value of a sine wave. The DC before it is converted to the stepped AC might be near the voltage you want.

Les.