Bluetooth or IR sensor based system design

Md. Omar Faruque

Joined Sep 28, 2021
I am trying to develop a system where I will send a specific signal to a microcontroller by pressing any of around 100 different buttons and for each key, the microcontroller has a fixed task that it will accomplish. A good example of my system can be a Bluetooth keyboard with a pc. For example, by pressing 'A' we get written A in pc screen. Another example is an IR-based remote system with a TV where each key gives a different channel.
Note: I am not talking about android based communication like smartphone and Arduino connection with HRC Bluetooth module. In my system, no smartphone will be used.
1. Now I want to know how can I do that? Please specify with Bluetooth transmitter, receiver name, and a schematic diagram if possible.
2. If you have any tutorial that may help me, I will love it if you share.
3 IR or Bluetooth, which one will be cost-effective and more efficient?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
Using Bluetooth or IR for this project would need similar transmitter coding and receiver decoding. The main difference would be that IR needs line of sight for the communication link. If that is possible, an IR solution would be marginally more cost effective than a Bluetooth one. Here is a link to an excellent tutorial for IR data transmitting and receiving.

https://osoyoo.com/2017/11/05/ardui...mitting-module-and-infrared-receiving-module/

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I can not find a good tutorial for transmitting and receiving data using Bluetooth. I have played with HC-05/06 Bluetooth modules but that are quite tricky to work with. I did some experimenting with data transmission using Bluetooth audio transmitters and receivers for a radio control; link. The bandwidth was high enough for the data but there was a delay of almost a second between transmitting and receiving. This should not be a problem if you are just sending coded data using push buttons, You could use the circuitry and coding in the IR transmitter tutorial, replacing the IR devices with the Bluetooth audio devices. You will need two of these:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...xp_id=e42de7ee-c1db-4372-acb1-99d3bea450ad-49:

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I am trying to develop a system where I will send a specific signal to a microcontroller by pressing any of around 100 different buttons and for each key, the microcontroller has a fixed task that it will accomplish. A good example of my system can be a Bluetooth keyboard with a pc. For example, by pressing 'A' we get written A in pc screen. Another example is an IR-based remote system with a TV where each key gives a different channel.
Note: I am not talking about android based communication like smartphone and Arduino connection with HRC Bluetooth module. In my system, no smartphone will be used.
1. Now I want to know how can I do that? Please specify with Bluetooth transmitter, receiver name, and a schematic diagram if possible.
2. If you have any tutorial that may help me, I will love it if you share.
3 IR or Bluetooth, which one will be cost-effective and more efficient?
You haven't provided enough information- if not line of site, what are your max and average distances, and what obstacles are in the way. IR is line-of-sight, if you can't do that, that's out. BlueTooth isn't all that great due to protocol stack/proprietary & bonding issues. perhaps you want to go with 2.4GHz... but again, we need to know ranges & obstacles/environmental issues...

Md. Omar Faruque

Joined Sep 28, 2021
The average range will be 1 meter. My system will be almost like a Bluetooth keyboard. The obstacle may be any tiny household stuff or a human being, so that line of sight may not be maintained