Bluetooth applications

ryanrivera

Joined Jan 26, 2006
hi everyone!

im working on a thesis regarding bluetooth technology.... i need your ideas regarding possible bluetooth applications. thanks a lot

Ryan Rivera
Polytechnic University of the Philippines

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
Bluetooth is pretty slow. Examine every facet of the bluetooth protocol and without doing any modification to the hardware find a way to expand amount of data that can be transmitted using one device. Asymmetrical is fine. You may have to find a vendor willing to allow you access to the underlying hardware and write your own driver.

Now with modifying the hardware using tools and materials a hobbyist can easily aquire, extend it's range! ;)

a_kent

Joined Jun 12, 2007
The uses for Bluetooth 'could' have been endless.

The problem is that the protocol is really UGLY!!

Hence the development of newer protocols such as Zigbee that fill some of the niches that 'could' have been handled by Bluetooth, had it been designed better.
===
That said, if you don't care about device interoperability, and IF you could find a modifyable Bluetooth stack, you could do a LOT with it to support virtually anything that could be done wirelessly and at a short range.

Range extension would be easy. Just design an output amplifier stage that complies with the waveforms. Whether this would be universally legal is another matter that I don't know about.

I am currently running 802.15.4 protocol (zero interop), with CC2420's, at 1k feet outdoors with 10-7 BER... It will get better...
I'm using this to control remote relays, read values from sensors, send data at 19.2kb, etc. It's not done yet...

Again, you 'could' do all of this with Bluetooth, if you had access to the stacks...