Bluetooh In Restaurants and Bars

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Yesterday I was watching a game at my local Applebees. I would have loved to be able to hear the audio. Same for when I watch cable news in the cafeteria at work. So why won't bars and restaurants install a bluetooth transmitter so that patrons can bring their own headsets to hear audio? Are there any technical issues to prevent it?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yesterday I was watching a game at my local Applebees. I would have loved to be able to hear the audio. Same for when I watch cable news in the cafeteria at work. So why won't bars and restaurants install a bluetooth transmitter so that patrons can bring their own headsets to hear audio? Are there any technical issues to prevent it?
That's not a bad idea... some of us don't care what's on TV, and want some peace and quiet at a restaurant. So your proposal would most likely make everybody happy. I guess you'd have to submit it to headquaters (or maybe the particular restaurant's administration has some powers to get that done)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
As far as I know, bluetooth is a 1:1 protocol, not a one:many.

A better solution would be to use the FM receiver on your Nokia/Microsoft phone.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
And would transmitting a weak FM signal in the restaurant be legal and within the FCC guidelines?
Yes, little line-out or headphone to FM transmitters have been available for years. That way you could listen to your iPod on your car radio.

Also, a local radio station usually carries local sporting events (even if on TV). I always found the radio guys to be much more descriptive than the TV guy anyhow.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
That's not a bad idea... some of us don't care what's on TV, and want some peace and quiet at a restaurant. So your proposal would most likely make everybody happy. I guess you'd have to submit it to headquaters (or maybe the particular restaurant's administration has some powers to get that done)
I'll do that, once I satisfy myself there are no show-stopping technical issues. BTW, Blutooth can connect 7 devices per transmitter, so about 20 transmitters would be required for a medium size restaurant. That might put the kibosh on the whole idea. Maybe we should think about wi-fi instead.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'll do that, once I satisfy myself there are no show-stopping technical issues. BTW, Blutooth can connect 7 devices per transmitter, so about 20 transmitters would be required for a medium size restaurant. That might put the kibosh on the whole idea. Maybe we should think about wi-fi instead.
But Gopher's right, maybe his idea's simpler. Most phones have an FM receiver built in them nowadays, and that would allow you to use either wired or wireless headphones for this application.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
But Gopher's right, maybe his idea's simpler. Most phones have an FM receiver built in them nowadays, and that would allow you to use either wired or wireless headphones for this application.
Most phones have the receiver chip but iPhone and Samsung phones have not enabled it. iPhone does not even connect the FM enable pins on the multifunction receiver chip.

I believe the lumia phones are the only ones that have it enabled and come with an app that lets you use it (with headphones plugged in as antenna.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
cmartinez said:
The little line out transmitter Gopher was writing about is good for two to three feet. Pumping out power to cover a medium to large restaurant might run afoul of FCC regs. I understand that the FCC has already forced some FM re-transmitters off the market. In any case, management would have ot worry about interference with local broadcast programming.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'll do that, once I satisfy myself there are no show-stopping technical issues. BTW, Blutooth can connect 7 devices per transmitter, so about 20 transmitters would be required for a medium size restaurant.
I would consider 140 people a big restaurant! And when you factor in how few would want to be on bluetooth - 1 in 10? - that would be an enormous restaurant. But as a practical matter, maybe things wouldn't work so well with so many simultaneous users.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Most phones have the receiver chip but iPhone and Samsung phones have not enabled it. iPhone does not even connect the FM enable pins on the multifunction receiver chip.

I believe the lumia phones are the only ones that have it enabled and come with an app that lets you use it (with headphones plugged in as antenna.
My Samsung Galaxy 5 has the FM radio enabled.

As far as audio broadcast, Wifi + an app would be a far better solution.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Wi-fi is a good solution. I thought about BT because of the number of self contained headsets on the market.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
My Samsung Galaxy 5 has the FM radio enabled.

As far as audio broadcast, Wifi + an app would be a far better solution.
Umm, when we were given Galaxy 3 at work, we were told that Samsung dropped support for the Fm receiver and Galaxy 2 would be the last to offer it.