Blue tooth needs disabling on soundbar, neighbours can hook into it

GoTheHighlaners

Joined May 9, 2020
Hey Guys, I have a JBL Cinema SB200 sound bar, thing is great but there is no password required to connect to its bluetooth, i have been woken up a few times by neighbours connecting to it an putting there music on, any ways is there anything i can do to disable it, like unsoldering or removing a certain component without affecting the rest of the sound bar? I've attached a copy of the circuit diagrams, Cheers Jason

JBL.png

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The very obvious solution that I see is to switch the soundbar OFF when you are not using it. That will also save power and prolong the devices life. Now you know why they put power switches on things.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The very obvious solution that I see is to switch the soundbar OFF when you are not using it. That will also save power and prolong the devices life. Now you know why they put power switches on things.
Except i doubt that he wants people connecting when he is using either.

Bob

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Once the thing pairs with the TV set the speaker will not listen to the neighbors, nor will the set talk to them. Bluetooth is a one-to-one connection. THAT is why it pairs with one other device. Bluetooth is not like a party line or a CB channel.

GoTheHighlaners

Joined May 9, 2020
Once the thing pairs with the TV set the speaker will not listen to the neighbors, nor will the set talk to them. Bluetooth is a one-to-one connection. THAT is why it pairs with one other device. Bluetooth is not like a party line or a CB channel.
Hey Bill, if i turn the tv off the sound bar goes into a standby mode, from here it is open to be connected with, i never had to pair the thing as such to the tv, it just hooks straight in, i could just grab and ol phone now and check its bluetooth out and connect with it cheers

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Just like computers, when the power is actually switched off, the thing becomes non-hack-able. In addition, power consumption and the fire hazard are both reduced. Most failures of electrical and electronic things happen when they are powered, not when they are switched off. And yes, a single switched plug strip is another option. Of course I am aware that some smart TVs take a few minutes to boot up from a cold start.