Blogs...

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Does anyone blog? What do people think of blogs and blogging? Is it something you would like to get into, but have never had the time or motivation? Or is it just a nerdy Internet fad, which will whittle after a few years?

(I do have a reasoning behind my questions!)

Dave

Firestorm

Joined Jan 24, 2005
I've never been a big blogger, made a few with differents programs, and added some themes, but the actual blogging seems pointless for me. I have no need to write on something, so I stay clear of them, my time is cramped as is. Occassionally I do read them though :)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I've never been a big blogger, made a few with differents programs, and added some themes, but the actual blogging seems pointless for me. I have no need to write on something, so I stay clear of them, my time is cramped as is. Occassionally I do read them though :)
You make an interesting point there Firestorm, which I can agree with. I have never met anyone who records/keeps/does a blog, however like many I have benefited from the insight (often technical) that others have provided in their blogs. I am just curious to see what the AAC members think of this 'phenomenon'.

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
My wife blogs prolifically. Before we had internet connection, she journaled prolifically. She even blogs on behalf of her deceased father, posting excerpts from his autobiography. http://samknapp.livejournal.com/

I've tried blogging myself, but could never quite keep up with it. I was never much good at keeping a journal either. Forums are my addiction.:rolleyes: My wife says I should either blog more or journal more. But she's a clinical psychologist - what does she know about such things?:D

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Nice clean design and quite prolific, if I may say so. Nice to have your own URL as opposed to a tagged one onto the Blogger/Yahoo! 360/other network.

Do you promote/advertise your blog in any way? (Other than the typical methods based around search engines picking up your site through the spiders).

Dave
I'm listed in a couple of blog indexes and technorati picks up my post within hours if I choose my words carefully.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
My wife blogs prolifically. Before we had internet connection, she journaled prolifically. She even blogs on behalf of her deceased father, posting excerpts from his autobiography. http://samknapp.livejournal.com/
Wow, extreme blogging! I guess your wife has always kept blog-type literature (journals, family diaries perhaps) from before the Internet-days, and the advent of blogging has made this a whole lot easier and more accessible?

I've tried blogging myself, but could never quite keep up with it. I was never much good at keeping a journal either. Forums are my addiction.:rolleyes: My wife says I should either blog more or journal more. But she's a clinical psychologist - what does she know about such things?:D
Although I couldn't blog daily, like some people do, I think there is some merit in storing-your-thoughts in a blog. I see them more as a repository than a diary. This is maybe why I, like yourself, enjoy forums.

Bet living with a clinical psychologist is quite a challenge - no mind games in order to escape out with some mates for a beer!! :D

Dave

Dragon

Joined Sep 25, 2007
Is it really so Firestorm? You have around 315 posts on this forum. Guess what, they are all blogs! For me blogging is merely putting text on the internet in any capacity or situation. Blogging can be discussions, or simply putting down ideas/thoughts/analysis on webspace.

dave:
I feel blogging includes all those attributes you mentioned in the beginning of this thread.

Intrigued by the idea of blogging when I first heard of it, I decided to maintain my own blogspace on blogger.com. Left it after one week!
For me blogging is to engage in discussions, good healthy ones. Blogging merely 'for the sake of blogging' does'nt quite suit me! ;)

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Is it really so Firestorm? You have around 315 posts on this forum. Guess what, they are all blogs! For me blogging is merely putting text on the internet in any capacity or situation. Blogging can be discussions, or simply putting down ideas/thoughts/analysis on webspace.
I agree that there are distinct similarities between blogging and forums. Ultimately they are an information exchange. But do you not feel that blogging encapsulates the technology and format with which the blog is distributed?

Also forums are open-house - you are not able to control the replies to your thread in the way you are able to control the comments to your blog.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I occasionally blog. It is the only place where I can say what I want, about any subject that I want. And those that don't like it, always have the opportunity to change page. That is as easy as it gets.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
in what category wud wiki fit in then.
haven blogged yet (b'coz of lack of knowledge)
but i think just like forums they are great way to contribute.
i have found them quite helpful.
'll like to write a big informative article though.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
In essence that is exactly what a blog would allow you to do. Its not really supposed to be about how much knowledge you have, more a small (or large) contribution of information to the information-superhighway.

Forums are the ultimate way of information exchange and blogs will never replave them in this sense, but do you think that a blog may help you with your small musings which may not be suitable for a new forum thread?

Dave

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
what i feel is that forums are more suitable for clarifications and conversation regarding the subject as they are more specific to topic of interest.
while i have used blogs only for something i had no idea about or needed some info,
i however do not give much importance towards someone's point of view in a blog. just the information is what i need.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
what i feel is that forums are more suitable for clarifications and conversation regarding the subject as they are more specific to topic of interest.
I couldn't agree more, as I said before it is a knowledge exchange.

while i have used blogs only for something i had no idea about or needed some info,
i however do not give much importance towards someone's point of view in a blog. just the information is what i need.
And blogs provide a different angle on this exchange of information? Papabravo's blogs is a good example of this.

I am going somewhere with my line of questioning! :D

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Ok, enough of my inquisition, what am I getting at?

The latest version of the vBulletin forums has a Blog feature integrated into it. The Blog feature allows members to create and manage Blogs in addition to the forum community.

To quote:

vBulletin Blog is a fully-featured blogging add-on that enables community members to create their very own online blogs within vBulletin. Giving members a place to post thoughts, ideas and musings will keep users returning to the community again and again, and advanced administration features allow forum owners and moderators to keep control and integrate Blog into vBulletin’s existing look and feel.
In light of the discussion here we envisage that Blogs will become a supplement to forum community and not a replacement because of the method of delivery, however the integration of Blogs along side the forums and e-book may make this a one-stop resource for electronics enthusiasts.

Would there be any interest amongst our members in having you own AAC Blogs? You wouldn't need to do anything, the features and tools would be there for you to use, and you could detail your thoughts and musings where it would not be suitable on the forums. Completed a project and want to write a synopsis on it - a Blog is the ideal place for that.

Should we go ahead with this, we would implement it as an "opt-in", therefore you must request and be granted the blog by the Admin, and the only restriction would probably be number of posts.

Comments.

Dave

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Blogs are not to be used as forums or webpages. They are more to be used as web logs, or web diaries. I personally use mine to critizise the government of Portugal, among other things. The others can leave their thoughts too, but a blog is a personal project.

I don't see no need for AAC to create blogs. A blog is to address more general issues, and if I write to a blog, is not as an AAC member, it is as whole person.