Blockstack=new Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This seems like news. A Princeton Ph.D. is making a new Internet architecture which is inherently immune to hackers like the NSA. "so that individuals can reclaim direct control over their own identities, contacts, and data."

"This new decentralized architecture is possible thanks to the invention of a new type of distributed database called a "blockchain,"

https://reason.com/reasontv/2017/06/22/blockstack-bitcoin-blockchain-internet

This has been a public service announcement.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong but I have never understood why it is so difficult to create an internet that is 100% secure.

The solution is simple.

All codes to be downloaded must be in script form, either readable text or an authorized form of p-code.
Never allow any executable binaries to enter your computer.
All scripts can be examined for malicious intentions by the operating system.
All code updates must be in script form.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The solution is simple.
Will that stop the NSA from making usable copies of whatever people do on the Internet, no matter which O.S. they have?
If true, this Princeton guy has wasted his time.:(

Last edited:

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
#12 is correct the only way to protect yourself ( a bit ) is strong encryption.
Any government is always able to snoop and collect data send by any type of transportation. (air/wire/Ir/wifi and more).
One hand it's ok to fight crime at the other hand not. ( You may face the question why did you send an E-mail to mr X on 01-01-2000 and what did you wrote to him?
This mr X is arrested yesterday for a criminal event. Now you are a suspect as well)

Picbuster

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Will that stop the NSA from making usable copies of whatever people do on the Internet, no matter which O.S. they have?
If true, this Princeton guy has wasted his time.:(
@#12 I say it's totally possible to stop dissemination of malware like @MrChips explained:)

But thinking any architecture can stop tracking is same fantasy as thinking bitcoin and smartcard transactions can be made private:rolleyes: Distributive systems (like torrents) can't stop tracking cuz each user is still a unit no matter how they're mapped! IMO it's intentional deceit intended to give ppl false sense of security! Or else Prof is a total numpty which with what academia has become wouldn't surprise me at all:rolleyes:!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
IMO it's intentional deceit intended to give ppl false sense of security! Or else Prof is a total numpty which with what academia has become wouldn't surprise me at all:rolleyes:!
Sometimes I feel trepidation because you are HP's daughter, but your American articulation holds no mystery for me.:)
Your numpty disguise is a bit like reading txt spk, but I can read that.:p

Grateful for your POV. Part of why I put that up was to see if anybody could shoot it down.;)
Something about Cunningham's Law.:D

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
This seems like news. A Princeton Ph.D. is making a new Internet architecture which is inherently immune to hackers like the NSA. "so that individuals can reclaim direct control over their own identities, contacts, and data."

"This new decentralized architecture is possible thanks to the invention of a new type of distributed database called a "blockchain,"

https://reason.com/reasontv/2017/06/22/blockstack-bitcoin-blockchain-internet

This has been a public service announcement.

You can make the 'internet' secure in a purely mechanical fashion but what you can't do is to eliminate the human factor and it's a big factor in all-round security (Snowden and the idiot Winner are examples of security cracks). Any encryption system is only as secure as the security of the key that is used by human operators even if they don't know the actual key. If only perfect computers communicated to each other then security is a mathematical calculation of the risk (A large proportion of the entire world’s computing resource has been put to work to reduce that risk in mining farms in China) of cracking keys at random in some blockchain, but humans are anything but random, they are very predictable in the ways to make them operate machines in an insecure matter. This is why a great many exploits are payloads inside of email and programs that report to be a official communication (sometimes using your stolen identity information to provide private information to trick you) or have an emotional motivating factor for use. Search Google for bitcoin and people who have been tricked into losing their coins and how the blockchain then becomes a roadblock to find the crooks.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lauras...itcoin-using-only-phone-numbers/#1ec6e87138ba

https://hbr.org/2017/03/how-safe-are-blockchains-it-depends
Private blockchain operators therefore must decide how to resolve the problem of lost identification credentials, particularly for systems that manage physical assets. Even if no one can prove ownership of a barrel of oil, the barrel will need to reside somewhere. Bitcoin currently provides no recourse for those who have lost their private keys; similarly, stolen bitcoins are nearly impossible to recover, as transactions submitted with stolen keys appear to a verifying node to be indistinguishable from legitimate transactions.

Private blockchain owners will have to make decisions about whether, and under what circumstances, to reverse a verified transaction, particularly if that transaction can be shown to be a theft. Transaction reversal can undermine confidence in the fairness and impartiality of the system, but a system that permits extensive losses as a result of the exploitation of bugs will lose users.

Last edited:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I always thought they were the same person.
Strantor I hope that's just a joke cuz if not it means you thought we're a couple of loonies just putting on a routine for two years:eek::mad:!

So ok:rolleyes:! If you thought that you were thinking we're just one loony but that's really just as bado_O:rolleyes:

So I guess that makes her Hypatia's Protege's protege? Or has that joke already been made?
Sry been there done that:D!

So anyhow I'm happy that now record is straight:)!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Sometimes I feel trepidation because you are HP's daughter
#12 Why does it disturb you cuz I'm related to HP:confused:? So are you saying you're Anglophobic:D?

Your numpty disguise is a bit like reading txt spk, but I can read that.:p
#12 I say textese is a way more severe form of nuptisim than I'm doing on here;)

Grateful for your POV. Part of why I put that up was to see if anybody could shoot it down.;)
Something about Cunningham's Law.:D
#12 It's just the fact that since incoming data packets have to follow path to you so hackers with infinite time and Govt organizations with infinite time AND money can work out path too! It's same reason extortionists are always caught cuz if payoff can find them so can victims and lawo_O:) So I'm not putting ppl who insist on privacy on par with criminals I'm just saying it's same principal of being identified:cool:

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
sometimes I get a headache trying to learn words fast enough to keep up with HP and I associate you with her in my mind.:(
But I think you already knew that.:rolleyes:
#12 how could I know that:confused:? No offense but I say some ppl make way too much of English vs American English schism, Just sayin'o_O:cool:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
#12 how could I know that:confused:?
Because you and HP post more than all the other females on this site, combined, and you're blood relatives. Especially prominent is that conspiracy to make a high voltage power supply that has been going on for about 2 years, and you two are the main players. Then there is the prolific use of emoticons which makes your posts resemble each other in a superficial sort of way.

How could people not associate you with HP? You two are as distinct as the difference between newspaper content and newspaper headlines.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Because you and HP post more than all the other females on this site, combined, and you're blood relatives. Especially prominent is that conspiracy to make a high voltage power supply that has been going on for about 2 years, and you two are the main players. Then there is the prolific use of emoticons which makes your posts resemble each other in a superficial sort of way.

How could people not associate you with HP? You two are as distinct as the difference between newspaper content and newspaper headlines.
#12 I totally understand how you associate me with HP but I don't get why you're intimidated (or whatever) by HP's English usage cuz I say it's just standard usage of formal tone:confused: Anyhow like I said no offense:)

Joined Nov 30, 2010

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Back to the subject, a secure Internet for everybody except State Actors.

How the CIA infiltrates air gapped networks:
https://arstechnica.com/security/20...t-cia-operation-for-infecting-air-gapped-pcs/

How the NSA routes American Internet traffic out of the country and back in so they can pretend they are capturing International Internet traffic:
http://www.zdnet.com/article/legal-loopholes-unrestrained-nsa-surveillance-on-americans/
#12 it's all just _where there's a will there's a way_ and collecting info on own citizens is major kicks for all Govts:mad:!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
#12 I totally understand how you associate me with HP but I don't get why you're intimidated (or whatever) by HP's English usage cuz I say it's just standard usage of formal tone:confused: Anyhow like I said no offense:)
You are prejudiced, probably by the places you've been and the people you've been around. I'm telling you a corn fed Midwest boy finds HP's vocabulary strange and intimidating.

@#12 and @Aleph(0)

Golly! I shouldn't have thought my penchant for formality constituted its own 'linguistic cult':confused::confused:o_O -- wadda world!:cool:

But to topic:

I assert that privacy schemes requisite of trust in (to render an 'Aleph-ism':p) 'the fox in charge of the hen-house' are misguided on to laughable (can we say bitcoin?):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Best regards
HP:)

You are prejudiced, probably by the places you've been and the people you've been around. I'm telling you a corn fed Midwest boy finds HP's vocabulary strange and intimidating.
@#12 -- Not to 'hijack' your thread...

It seems you are asserting that my vocabulary (as opposed to [merely] my level of formality) is somehow 'challenging'?:confused:
In which case I'm genuinely interested in examples/citations of my alleged nonstandard usage and/or use of obscure words...?

If you prefer, please feel free to respond to this on our 'EHT thread':)...

With sincere curiosity and very best regards
HP:)

Status
Not open for further replies.