BLIND HAT, Is Possible to make assisting hat for blind persons

nielz

Joined May 4, 2017
Hi .
Is Possible to make assisting hat for blind persons .by attaching mini cameras and proximity sensors in differant angles to cover around. its signals controlled by arduino which in turn generate alarm sounds also connecting this signals via suitable transducer and fiber optic to optical nurve or its receiving end in brain ?

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
If you are going to use an arduino, you will probably find that cameras with shape recognition software require more than the available resources. Ultrasonic signals do not reflect from cloth and other soft surfaces very well. Neither does IR, especially on dark colored rough surfaces. IR proximity sensors work quite well but are not directional.
If you like a challenge, give it a try, but be aware of the limitations.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
One blind guy makes clicking sounds and "hears" obstacle locations by hearing echoes from them like a bat locates mosquitoes.
He is very accurate.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
One blind guy makes clicking sounds and "hears" obstacle locations by hearing echoes from them like a bat locates mosquitoes.
He is very accurate.
And that technique was adopted by several research teams and individual inventors and typically has been fitted to a pair of glasses that send a focussed beam of sound in the direction the person is 'looking'. Here's one example.

Irving

Joined Jan 30, 2016
If you are going to use an arduino, you will probably find that cameras with shape recognition software require more than the available resources.
We use neural co-processors on a bunch of Pi 4s to do object & feature recognition for semi-autonomous wheelchair driving with brain-computer interfacing (BCI) planned for control.

Maxim just brought out an AI-chip for stand-alone machine vision for wearables. MAX78000

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And that technique was adopted by several research teams and individual inventors and typically has been fitted to a pair of glasses that send a focussed beam of sound in the direction the person is 'looking'. Here's one example.
The type of sensor I would think of is an ultrasonic sensor, such as the Ping. I actually use HC-SR04 sensors (generic Ping Ultrasonic Sensors) in my animatronics to locate the closest audience member.

For further distance, consider laser sensors. They are also available as modules.

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
A sensor unit of possible utility, or at least one to try out, is located in this link.:
Infrared Lidar
A range of 10 meters is quoted. So maybe it can be used as a distant warning alert.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
I think the hat is possible with some investment to activate alarms, but I'm a little concerned about the attach to the optic nerve or the brain part.

What I'm saying is...that part is not exactly DIY.