Black Friday scams.. what to do?

mattdevon

Joined Nov 19, 2018
Hi guys,

In the country i live, Black Friday starts a week before the one that's worldwide. So on the 16, i have ordered some products that i thought (from the pictures and description) that are the real ones. In the specs, where "Brand" was stated, it was mentioned the real one. Anyway, i have ordered few products and when they started to come: SURPRISE! They were some very bad dupes/fakes/replicas of the originals. I was basically shocked because on the website, the picture was with the real product from the real brand, and what i have received was a complete disaster.. not even the colors were the same.
Does anyone know what should i do? Should i file a complaint on the website? Return the products? File a complaint to the authority that deals with consumers protection?
I don't think it's normal to post a picture of the real product and sell a replica without even mentioning it..
What would you do?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hi guys,

In the country i live, Black Friday starts a week before the one that's worldwide. So on the 16, i have ordered some products that i thought (from the pictures and description) that are the real ones. In the specs, where "Brand" was stated, it was mentioned the real one. Anyway, i have ordered few products and when they started to come: SURPRISE! They were some very bad dupes/fakes/replicas of the originals. I was basically shocked because on the website, the picture was with the real product from the real brand, and what i have received was a complete disaster.. not even the colors were the same.
Does anyone know what should i do? Should i file a complaint on the website? Return the products? File a complaint to the authority that deals with consumers protection?
I don't think it's normal to post a picture of the real product and sell a replica without even mentioning it..
What would you do?

What to do? Buy from a reliable source in the first place and stop try to save a buck (or rubble, or yen, or peso, 0r euro, or yuan.....)

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Should i file a complaint on the website?
It depends on which website. I bought a counterfeit BMW ignition switch from a seller on Amazon.com. It had the BMW logo and I thought I might be buying from a manufacturer who had decided to compete with their customer. The switch worked and I wasn't going to tear my steering column apart again to remove and replace again. It was more important to have my car running again.
Return the products?
If they'll take them back.
File a complaint to the authority that deals with consumers protection?
Worth a try. If you paid with a credit card, you can try contacting them.
People who sell illegitimate parts aren't going to tell you that. They don't care.
What would you do?
I've bought things from AliExpress, fully expecting them to be counterfeit. As long as they work, I don't care.

mattdevon

Joined Nov 19, 2018
It depends on which website. I bought a counterfeit BMW ignition switch from a seller on Amazon.com.
I've bought things from AliExpress, fully expecting them to be counterfeit. As long as they work, I don't care.
I've discovered recently something called (name of business removed by moderator).. which is the opposed version of eBay, Amazon or any online exchange which means that nobody can shut it down and the block-chain based means that nobody can delete or edit an entry (an item posted for sale).
One more thing cool is that all the negotiations and trades for the goods are available online instantly!
I think it's a good infrastructure that creates space for e-commerce and protects parties from possible fraud.. i think it will be a really good platform for doing business of many sorts.

Last edited by a moderator:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The website i bought from it's a reliable one. I've never had problem with them other than this time..
If it was really reliable then they would have no issue with taking the item back. People make mistakes, even sellers can get fooled but the good ones stand behind their mistakes.

Return it. If they take it back then do business with them again.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
..... and if they won't play ball then leave an appropriate review, so that other would-be buyers are warned.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
What country has "Black Friday" sales a week before the rest of the world?
Black Friday seems to have come sooner this year. It's supposed to be the Friday after Thanksgiving, but many started sooner.

Some businesses also have a Veterans Day sale.

Cyber Monday also seems to be happening earlier and lasting longer. Several companies were reminding me to take advantage of Cyber Monday sales on Tuesday. One company was advertising Cyber week.