Black Friday Madness

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Anyone join in?

Joy to the world. Peace to all. What could possibly be worth all of this madness and hate? God help us when it is something that really matter like food and water that people are after.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I actually went out Black Friday shopping, but up in my neck of the woods it's really not a big to-do. Traffic was minimal, and why occasionally it was hard finding a parking spot it really wasn't at all unpleasant.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It does get crazy, they even have the police on scene. I choose not to participate, unless I need some milk or eggs.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I jacked up a Ford Explorer and traced the starter wiring. Absolutely peaceful. Not even a squirrel annoying me.

Well, there was a lizard on the coil spring, but he just watched. We have very polite lizards in Florida.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I found a curb-alert (free) Craftsman table saw on craigslist and made it there in time to snag it! That's the extent of my Black Friday participation.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think Alec is teasing. From Wales so I doubt they have Thanksgiving the same day, if at all. Which brings up another interesting topic, What countries have a Thanksgiving? I know Canada has one and of course the US but other than that I do not know.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Is BF on the same day there as it is here in the US?

And I am guessing there is no Walmart where the nuts can be found?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
So few give anyone thanks for anything. After all, if you don't believe in God, who do you thank? your employer? your government? yourself? Wal-Mart?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thanksgiving wasn't only about thanking a deity, it was a celebration of having discovered free enterprise.

William Bradford soon realized the pilgrims' social structure, a sort of communal arrangement, wasn't working. Able-bodied workers were unwilling to work because they knew the fruit of their labor just went into the communal coffers. William Bradford abandoned that arrangement and unleashed the workers, allowing all to keep the fruits of their labor. The society soon had enough surplus to enable trade with the native Americans, who were also better off as a result of having a productive trading partner.

Thanksgiving is an homage to capitalism. You might say it is only proper to celebrate by engaging in trade as a sporting event.