Binary to 7 Segment and Changing the Input of the Display on Proteus

kucar17

Joined Apr 26, 2020
Hey there, I hope you are all very well and safe during those times.

I have a new work which asks me to do this:

"Design a counter which counts 0-4-6-8-12-14-0 (mod-6) and when the counter shows 14, the counter will stop counting and wait for 3 minutes. There is going to be 6.667 second betwen each count. After the 3 minutes is elapsed, the counter will begin count counting in the sequnce 0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-0."

question.png

Here is what I designed so far. It counts the sequence 0-4-6-8-12-14... Now, what I want to do is to display the count on a 7 segment display. I do not know how I can convert these binary numbers to 7 segment. My second part of the question is; for the third part of the question I am thinking about creating another counter with Flip Flops (I can design it with no difficulties). I want to display the sequence 0-1-2-3....-15 on the same display component. If it is not clear, basically what I want is to being able to show 0-4-6-8-12-14 then 0-1-2-3....-15 on the same display component. How can I accomplish these?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Your problem sounds similar to this active thread.
Now, what I want to do is to display the count on a 7 segment display. I do not know how I can convert these binary numbers to 7 segment.
You should have a BCD to seven segment decoder in Proteus.
My second part of the question is; for the third part of the question I am thinking about creating another counter with Flip Flops (I can design it with no difficulties). I want to display the sequence 0-1-2-3....-15 on the same display component. If it is not clear, basically what I want is to being able to show 0-4-6-8-12-14 then 0-1-2-3....-15 on the same display component. How can I accomplish these?
I think it would be easiest to design a counter that counts both sequences and uses the same display.

Can you display the numbers for the counters as hexadecimal? If not, you'd need to incorporate a binary to BCD converter; or something.

Since students these days seem to have a propensity for drawing difficult to read schematics, you should show your work (truth table, kmaps, and expressions for the flip flop inputs). You should do everyone a favor in the not to distant future and learn to draw a clean schematic: flow primarily left to right and top to bottom, no unnecessary wire jogs, no scenic routing, no routing wires over components or labels, align components when it makes sense.

Someone will always come along and ding you for having unconnected pins (some will also complain about power connections not being shown - ignore those people). The simulator I use assigns logic LOW to unconnected input pins. I use this to minimize work, but I typically connect them when posting schematics so I don't get people telling me I have unconnected pins (and best known methods require not leaving them floating).

EDIT: BTW, thanks for not posting a schematic with that weird background color and grid Proteus uses.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I simulated the circuit and the count sequence is not 0-4-6-8-12-14-0. Post your work so I can see where you're going astray.

EDIT: I misunderstood how you had the first flip flop connected. When I ground the inputs, I get the expected count. But, I was able to implement that counter without using any additional gates.

Post your work and I'll try to help you simplify your logic.

Last edited:

kucar17

Joined Apr 26, 2020
I am going to post my Karnaugh Mappings, Truth Tables and the block diagram of the whole counter on the advancing hours in the day. Thank you for your help so far.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I am going to post my Karnaugh Mappings, Truth Tables and the block diagram of the whole counter on the advancing hours in the day.
What are your restrictions on the seven segment display? Can you display the numbers as hexadecimal?

kucar17

Joined Apr 26, 2020
What are your restrictions on the seven segment display? Can you display the numbers as hexadecimal?
I do not have any restrictions I can display them as hexadecimal, I just need to display each number and even binary display is going to be enough. I just want it to be easier to readable.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I do not have any restrictions I can display them as hexadecimal, I just need to display each number and even binary display is going to be enough. I just want it to be easier to readable.
You could use MC14495 if Proteus has it. Or you could program a memory to do the conversion. If you're willing to use 4 LEDs, that would be easier.

Are you planning to use the same "display" for both count sequences?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
But there's nothing to prevent him from designing a BCD counter.
Why would anyone do that? The count sequence is 0,4,6,8,12,14,0. He can do it with 4 JK flip flops as he has already done.

The other part of the problem is a 4 bit binary counter; which a BCD counter can't accommodate.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The other part of the problem is a 4 bit binary counter; which a BCD counter can't accommodate.
I thought he needed to display decimal, but since he can display HEX than obviously a BCD counter is not needed.
Certainly a BCD counter can count a 0 through 15 sequence though.