Biggest Cities for Analog Design??

paddynbob

Joined Oct 30, 2017
Hey all!

I'm a pretty junior analogue CMOS engineer (around 6 months experience) with a very reputable company. I'm currently getting my first couple of years experience in Edinburgh, but at the end of this two years I'm looking to relocate to somewhere wildly different and get some experience living abroad and exploring!

At the same time, my girlfriend is looking for her employment prospects as a psychologist in other countries and we're trying to coordinate efforts to narrow down cities to look at.

So my question is -- which cities around the world have the best chance of employment for analog CMOS Engineers?? I know in the UK Edi and Cambridge are good, but what about worldwide?

Hope this thread is in the right place and I'm sure itll bring about some interesting discussion! Cheers

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Silicon Valley (San Francisco Bay Area if you didn't know). Numerous high tech companies to work for, lots of people, lots of traffic, high cost of living. Once I got used to the air pollution, I really liked the weather.

I cashed out from the Bay Area 30 years ago... Back then, I ran in to the likes of Bill Hewlett, Barney Oliver, Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove. I guess that dates me...

tindel

Joined Sep 16, 2012
There are other places besides the bay area to work as well... Boulder, Austin, Boston, etc. I don't know outside of the USA though. I've heard Raleigh, NC as well, but that's more for high speed digital than analog.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Analog Devices is a large company specializing in (as you might expect) analog IC circuits.
The are headquartered near Boston, MA, USA but have design centers in other areas of the US and Europe.

paddynbob

Joined Oct 30, 2017
Silicon Valley (San Francisco Bay Area if you didn't know). Numerous high tech companies to work for, lots of people, lots of traffic, high cost of living. Once I got used to the air pollution, I really liked the weather.

I cashed out from the Bay Area 30 years ago... Back then, I ran in to the likes of Bill Hewlett, Barney Oliver, Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove. I guess that dates me...
Haha I imagine its something you could only do for a while!! :) I love the look of the bay area, I'm heading in the summer for a visit. Is it for analogue though?? I always think of it more software and digital based :)

There are other places besides the bay area to work as well... Boulder, Austin, Boston, etc. I don't know outside of the USA though. I've heard Raleigh, NC as well, but that's more for high speed digital than analog.
My company is actually headquartered in Austin! Love it there. Do you know if theres anything on the east coast? Maybe NY?

Analog Devices is a large company specializing in (as you might expect) analog IC circuits.
The are headquartered near Boston, MA, USA but have design centers in other areas of the US and Europe.
Yes, they're in Edinburgh too! It sounds from everyone's answers like Boston is bigger than I thought!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Is it for analogue though?? I always think of it more software and digital based :)
Fairchild, National Semiconductor, Linear Technologies, and others all had roots in the Bay Area. There have been a lot of acquisitions and mergers, but some remnants should remain. I used to keep track of it when I worked in the area, but haven't lately.

Even microprocessors used to have sections that were analog, but starting around 90nm, analog areas started going digital.