Big box with 20 switches on the front and room to house 20 large capcitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
No. You haven’t provided enough information. What switches are you using? And what is the largest/smallest capacitor? Links to the actual components may help. What space do your external connections require? And what voltages will be inside the box.

You can probably do this yourself. With the physical dimensions, lay out all components to determine the dimensions of the box. Then search for a project box of that size (or larger).

Hammondsc

Joined Feb 26, 2019
I want to make one of these

for less than he's selling them for, unfortunately the scardy cats will probably ban me for making something too something !

Last edited by a moderator:

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Some of the capacitors I've worked with would take a cargo van to hold 20 capacitors. In fact, they took a Naval Ship to house them. And the switching cabinets that controlled them were easily as large as a cargo van.

To be completely honest, we have no idea what you're trying to do. If you tell us you have capacitors that measure X Y Z then we can come up with a box sized to hold that much material with enough room for the most common types of switches. But first we need to know the values of the caps as well. You can't use a standard 120 volt switch to switch a capacitor that is at 480 volts with a capacitance of 4700 µF. We can easily help you find something that won't work. But with more information we MIGHT be able to help you with a proper solution.

And three things about the link you've shared: First, the box looks custom. Second, there are no dimensions to go on. Third, we know nothing about the circuit they are constructing. I find it hard to imagine anyone building something just from these few photos. But if you can - great. Please share with us.

Ban? Scardy cats? If you're talking about safety - - - we like our members to stick around a long long time. There's a reason why certain topics are prohibited. Nobody wants to be responsible for telling you to test a capacitor on your tongue.

Last edited:

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Well, obviously you can hammer some boards together. For ideas of what is available, you can start with https://www.grainger.com/content/general-catalog There are other general industrial catalogs which will give you some ideas of available products to build with. Then you can narrow down your scope to individual products and manufacturers.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
If the size is right - what about using an old computer cabinet? You may have to gut a few things, but if the space required is sufficient - there's one idea.

Lo_volt

Joined Apr 3, 2014
A couple of things to note about the link you sent:
-He's made the boxes out of wood. This may have something to do with the large magnetic fields he's producing with his box. Depending on the power of these fields, metal boxes may be dangerous.
-He's got a lot of disclaimers about medical use and use on humans. Is this the intended use for your device? What do you intend to do with it?

Lastly, do you have your circuit defined? You will really need to start there then you can choose your components and decide how big your box needs to be.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Was it blocked because the project is dangerous?

Moderators note : removed link from quote
The link was to an "experimental" medical device for curing all sorts of ills and parasites that the gullible buyer may imagine having. That is, snake oil. Aside for an expensive and hefty looking coil there is no evidence it does anything.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
The link was to an "experimental" medical device for curing all sorts of ills and parasites that the gullible buyer may imagine having. That is, snake oil. Aside for an expensive and hefty looking coil there is no evidence it does anything.

You have to wonder how someone that is gullible enough to fall for pseudo science could possibly be intelligent enough to build such a thing.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have a "big Box" with a bunch of capacitors in it. It is an EICO company capacitor substitution box. the size is about 2 inches by 2 1/2 inches by 5 inches. I also have a single capacitor that measures about 4 inches by 5 inches by 5 inches, and another that measures about 9 inches long and 3 1/2 inches in diameter. These are all fairly common capacitors. So to get any answer that is better than a guess you do need to provide more information. Likewise with the switches, I have both very small ones and larger ones rated for 20 amps.
Then there is also the question of mounting those capacitors. Some mount by their leads, others us a clamp and bolt in place.
One thing though is that it is not likely that the capacitors arrangement will be producing magnetic fields.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
The capacitor inside Captan Kirk's phasers are impressive. Small yet can hold a huge potential. The one drawback is when those pistols overload. Eventually the capacitor exceeds its breakdown voltage and BOOM. There goes another Starship.

Status
Not open for further replies.