Bias Point Simulation Current

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
Hello,
I ran a bias point simulation in PSPICE of the circuit. I am wondering what the prefix capital K is. Is that kilo? That seems too large of a current.
pspice transistor K.png

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I do not know PSPICE.
Lots of members over here use LTspice.
I also see that the base-emittor voltage is very high (1.215V).
Normaly I would expect 0.6 - 0.7 Volts.

Bertus

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello,
I ran a bias point simulation in PSPICE of the circuit. I am wondering what the prefix capital K is. Is that kilo? That seems too large of a current.
View attachment 92734
Look at where all the current is going.

The problem (and you will have this with any simulator based on PSpice, which includes LT Spice) is that the simulator input files are case-insensitive. Hence your 1M base resistor is 1 mΩ, not 1 MΩ. The prefix for mega is meg (or MEG).

So how might you have spotted this?

Whenever you get wonky results, walk through things and see where the wonkiness is focused.

Consider the voltage across the base resistor is (20 V - 1.215 V) = 18.785 V. You have 18.79 kA flowing through it. So using those you get a base resistance of 1 mΩ.

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
Look at where all the current is going.

The problem (and you will have this with any simulator based on PSpice, which includes LT Spice) is that the simulator input files are case-insensitive. Hence your 1M base resistor is 1 mΩ, not 1 MΩ. The prefix for mega is meg (or MEG).

So how might you have spotted this?

Whenever you get wonky results, walk through things and see where the wonkiness is focused.

Consider the voltage across the base resistor is (20 V - 1.215 V) = 18.785 V. You have 18.79 kA flowing through it. So using those you get a base resistance of 1 mΩ.
Ah, that makes sense. I'll have to rerun the simulation in LTSPICE.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Why do you have to rerun it in LTSPICE? Just correct the error (which will be the same error in LTSPICE) and rerun it in PSPICE.

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
Why do you have to rerun it in LTSPICE? Just correct the error (which will be the same error in LTSPICE) and rerun it in PSPICE.
That's a good point. I'll remember to type 1000000 or 1meg. But they lock the lab, which has the only computers with the licenses for PSPICE, and I had to quickly run the simulation since the lab took the full time.