Best way to create -5V rail from 12v supply

Thread Starter

Duxthe1

Joined Sep 27, 2008
9
I'm looking for a good way to create a -5v supply from +12v without splitting the 12v with diodes. I need to keep the 12v gnd in tact. I've looked at rectifying the neg side of a square wave from a 555 timer but the current output is low. I need to drive the negative side of 2 op-amps in a unity gain configuration.

Suggestions?
 

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
22,230
What is your current requirement for the -5v supply?

More to the point, why don't you post your schematic, and give some details about the inputs you're getting, and what outputs you require?
 

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
22,230
The x7660 gives extremely limited current output, less than the rectified 555-output scheme.
Bertus' first link shows a scheme capable of 2A @-5V.
The MC34063A datasheet from Texas Instruments shows a -5v 1.5A supply in the applications portion. That schematic could be adapted to a 555 solution if the 555 were driving an external transistor that sourced current to an appropriately sized inductor.
 
Top