beginner

harsh_sher

Joined Jan 12, 2008
sir,

I am a first year student of nsit - e&c.i really want to make electrical circuits and learn how to innovate new designs.therefore i want to learn right from basic.what should i do? is programming also involved while making these circuits?i know c++ very well ...would that be enough!which books and websites should i log in to so that i start learning circuits and understand already posted circuits?

please make sure that you have answered all the queries!!

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
sir,

i want to learn right from basic.what should i do?
Study the basics. You can find a good source of basic electronics by reading the ebooks here in the forum at www.allaboutcircuits.com
harsh_sher said:
is programming also involved while making these circuits?
Programming is only required when using microcontrollers and microprocessor based designs.

harsh_sher said:
i know c++ very well. would that be enough!
C++ programming gives you a good basis for programming but it would be very useful for you to acquire a familiarity with assembly language programming also.
harsh_sher said:
which books and websites should i log in to so that i start learning circuits and understand already posted circuits?
Again I would direct your attention to the ebook at www.allaboutcircuits.com.

[/quote]

Hope this helps.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Just to add to hgmjr's Assembly Language suggestion...

Assembler is extremely useful when programming MCUs (microcontrollers), which are slow and memory-limited when compared to a PC. It will also give you a greater degree of control over the processor which can be very important for real-time sampling applications, and can result in more efficient use of limited program storage.

Along with studying the material presented in this site's tutorials, I suggest purchasing an "Electronics Learning Lab" from Radio Shack for $65. It's worth that for the lab alone. It comes with a number of components, jumper wires, and two learning lab manuals written by Forrest M. Mims III, who did a great job on them.
Link: http://www.radioshack.com/sm-electronics-learning-lab--pi-2102913.html
You can spend a lot of money on parts and not learn much. This gives you what you need to get up and running quickly, and you'll be using the lab for years.
You will also need six "AA" batteries. I suggest using NiMH AA rechargeable.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I second sgtwookie's suggestion on getting a breadboarding unit. It is a good idea to breadboard the circuits you are studying to re-enforce your understanding of the circuit.

hgmjr