Beginner wants to send Info from sensor to Smartphone - Please help!

Luca321

Joined Aug 17, 2019
Hello guys!
I have no experience in electronics until now but I would like to create a sensor that lets me send data from a pressure sensor to my smartphone via bluetooth. I am a drummer and this should help me with my accuracy by being able to analyse the accuracy of my drumstrokes.

My question is: where do I get started? Do I start with learning about Arduino or Rasberry Pie? Or do I have to learn electric circuits first?

Thanks in advance!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
What is wrong with using the built in microphone in the smartphone? It should easily be able to detect drum hits. I suspect there is already an app for that.

Bob

Luca321

Joined Aug 17, 2019
What is wrong with using the built in microphone in the smartphone? It should easily be able to detect drum hits. I suspect there is already an app for that.

Bob
Thanks for the quick response Bob!

No there is no app for that. I think we drummers just aren´t such a tech-savy bunch. But do you think a microphone can detect drumstrokes and distinguish them from ambient noise? And will the microphone be able to pinpoint the exact timing of the stroke to a few miliseconds?
I immediately thought about pressure plates because there is no ambient noise interfering but if you think that a microphone will do as good of a job, that would certainly be a lot easier.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
The mic should easily be able to distinguish the very sharp drum strikes from ambient noise. And millisecond timing should be no problem.

Bob

Luca321

Joined Aug 17, 2019
The mic should easily be able to distinguish the very sharp drum strikes from ambient noise. And millisecond timing should be no problem.

Bob
Also if the drumstrokes are really quiet? A big part in drumming is getting the contrast of the strokes right, so there are really soft and really loud strokes. You could compare the soft strokes to the loudness of about tapping the surface of a table with you knuckles

Sinus23

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Piezo and a microcontroller could do the trick. Why does the data have to be sent to a phone?

Last edited: