Beginner - Ready to start my first project, could use some tips getting started

dmuppet

Joined Mar 5, 2016
And that's not at all unreasonable, so let's accept that we aren't looking for a good solution to the problem, but rather using the problem as a means to an educational end.
Exactly! It's a journey of exploration, and the beginning of what I hope is a life long hobby! I apologize for all of the confusion, I've got so many thoughts running through my head I did an extremely poor job of explaining myself.

dmuppet

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Awesome, so RFID is the most logical choice, now what about programming language best suited for this application. I've mostly only ever worked with Java and Ruby but it's been a while and I'm not very versed on what newer languages exist.

dmuppet

Joined Mar 5, 2016
That's a great point and I was already a step ahead of you. I've found loads of information on exactly what I want to do. I'm going to do a lot more research and see what information I find and go from there.

Again, really sorry for the confusion and I appreciate all the help. I'll definitely keep you updated on my progress once I have something worth presenting!

As for now I've gotta run but if anyone else has ideas or suggestions please let me know!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'd use this kind of thing:
http://www.gearbest.com/development-boards/pp_48128.html

I don't think an RFID device would have the range you need as they are usually passive and are energised by the reader.
It might well require an active RFID. If the goal is to detect just a few expensive pieces (and since the goal is educational more than anything else), this might still be viable. I don't know what the read distances of active RFID tags is (but I know that, like anything else, it depends on a lot of other factors).

An alternative would be an RF transponder approach.

dmuppet

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Just off the quick research I did active is definitely what I'm looking for long term. Not only does it have a much further range they can do alot more. But they are costly and size wize may not be exactly suitable for this application. However, passive is very cheap and if I organize my expensive equipment around a reader then I could drastically bring the price down by using passive RFID devices.

Definitely a lot to think about and again thanks for all the help. This is a great starting point and I already know I'm going to be doing a lot of research tomorrow!!

dmuppet

Joined Mar 5, 2016
So I've settled on using passive UHF RFID tags for this project. Specifically I'm going to go with these.

https://www.barcodesinc.com/omni-id/part-flex-lp-tag.htm

They are the right size and range for what I want to accomplish. The second step is the reader module and the rasberry pi. The modules + attenna are definitely what bring the price up. I'm going to have to try and research to see if there is a more economical solution. Ultimately I'd like to see these in all the vans in our office so I want to get the cost down as much as possible.

There are tons of tutorials and information on creating an RFID reader with rasberry pi so that shouldn't be too difficult. I'm excited, now I just have to wait for pay day :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm going to have to try and research to see if there is a more economical solution. Ultimately I'd like to see these in all the vans in our office so I want to get the cost down as much as possible.
Be careful about confusing a project that is primarily for educational purposes with a project that is intended to solve a real-world problem. The two seldom play well together.

dmuppet

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Definitely noted. Really I wouldn't have the time or energy to anything on a mass scale. Really I would just like to prove a proof of concept that could be suggested to the asset management group. The company definitely does take suggestions as some of the materials we use in the field were invented by techs.

I don't expect to make money from this project, as the idea isn't original and I've already found numerous similar systems. But it's going to be reallllly cool to create my own. :)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Be careful about confusing a project that is primarily for educational purposes with a project that is intended to solve a real-world problem. The two seldom play well together.
It is also worth noting that new members will get annoyed when you keep harping on them. I think he's got project expectations under control.

dmuppet

Joined Mar 5, 2016
It is also worth noting that new members will get annoyed when you keep harping on them. I think he's got project expectations under control.
No worries, it's good advice to stay grounded. I have no illusions of grandeur, this will be a fun project.