Beetles

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
There a guy name Smith at Hartford that know all that stuff ,travel the world in

quest of knowledge on all kinds of bugs. I have travel the southeast of U.S. doing

research, Texas is number one for fireants photo's. The federal government has

spent millions on fireant research in Texas at the university level.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
  1. Catch a June bug in a cup
  2. Tie a thread to one of its legs
  3. Find a smoker
  4. Breathe smoke onto the June bug
  5. Release it
  6. Fly it like a toy airplane, holding onto the thread
Childhood memories of a family cookout/BBQ...

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
  1. Catch a June bug in a cup
  2. Tie a thread to one of its legs
  3. Find a smoker
  4. Breathe smoke onto the June bug
  5. Release it
  6. Fly it like a toy airplane, holding onto the thread
Childhood memories of a family cookout/BBQ...
There are some 6x10^5 species of beetles on this pathetically abused planet. They deserve respect, no?

This year in Canada, the predominant breeding ground of the Monarch butterfly, there have been no sightings of the insect in nearly 90% of its historical breeding range. In fact, the Point Pelee migration observation event was called off because no butterflys showed up.

I wonder how many were tethered to threads for amusement?

Yeah, yeah, I now. They are not beetles.

No matter, lets continue to abuse this planet. After all, its all in the name of human fun, right?

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"This year in Canada, the predominant breeding ground of the Monarch butterfly, there have been no sightings of the insect in nearly 90% of its historical breeding range."

I thought it was common knowledge, that every Monarch Butterfly, was destroyed during filming of "Under the Dome", last season.

It was always Junior's fault.:mad:

All kidding aside, I have watched all my Honeybees disappear over the last 10 years or so. Next year, I'll probably have to resort to using "tomato sex", to get them all pollinated.

Just need a lot of patience, and a couple of cotton balls.:cool:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
While they are not beetles,(they are really crustaceans), I've seen more pillbugs/sowbugs/wood lice, all names for the same basic thing, this year than I can recall. Been cutting fire wood all week and every tree is full of them. Not just a few, but hundreds per tree.

Maybe this where Takao21203 has been. Like Johnny Appleseed, he's planting pillbugs every where.:)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Correct me If I am wrong ,get facts right before you correct me. The Monarch

butterflies go from the east to the west during there migration. The first generation

is not the same generation that ends up in west Texas before there final migration.

The first generation stops and go thru there process about three times ,so the first

generation die off and keep reproducing until they arrive out west ,check it out.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Is "star foam" a typo?....yeah...probably is......but no!.....there is again!...very odd......I wonder if he really doesn't know what Styrofoam is...?
Like calling duct tape....duck tape.......you know...before someone actually started selling the duck tape brand........strange....where is this mysterious stranger from.....is he from earth.....or maybe somewhere else....

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Correct me If I am wrong ,get facts right before you correct me.
Okay.

You're partly (actually, mostly) wrong.

The Monarch migration fans out north and east from Mexico early each spring (February and March) and goes from there throughout the US and Canada.

The generation of the animals that accomplishes this migration is the same generation that accomplishes the fall migration south and west into Mexico. These are the migration/hibernating generation and will lay the first eggs of the season once they get to their breeding grounds in late March through April. No eggs are laid along the way.

There are usually 4 full generations that are all made while in the spring/summer breeding grounds. These generations will increase the population many times to make up for the losses during the fall and spring migrations and the hibernation. Each of the three breeding generations is fairly short lived, living only about 3-6 weeks as adults. The final (4th) generation hatches into caterpillars around early September and is ready to migrate to Mexico for hibernation by October. This generation lives for up to 8 months and are the ones that do all the long distance flying, the hibernation and the return to lay the eggs of the first generation of the following year.

So, while there are multiple generations of Monarchs in a single year, they are all hatched and grow to adult hood in the breeding grounds.

It is the migrating generation that has been the hardest hit. Thy are the ones that are not being able to make the round trip to the breeding grounds in order for the numbers to replenish.

BillO

Joined Nov 24, 2008
Like calling duct tape....duck tape.......you know...before someone actually started selling the duck tape brand...
I had actually had the 'brilliant' idea of creating a brand of duct tape called "Duct Ape" with the tag line "As strong as a gorilla". However, I hummed and hawed about it for too long until some company brought out a brand of duct-tape like tape call Gorilla Tape, and stole my never realized thunder.

You snooze, you loose....:mad:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
We know our butterflies, bees.....watch out for the bedbugs....they say they like

hugs and rugs. A good way to control , wash the sheets, pillow cases and blankets

often. Every two weeks or less ,nothing like the feal of clean sheets.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Speaking of "star foam" and the topic of this thread, the British geneticist and evolutionary biologist J. B. S. Haldane said (maybe in some variation) God has an inordinate fondness for stars and beetles.

(Because there are so many of them.)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
takao21203 Off-Topic 32