BEAM robot IC swap

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I'm not sure what a photopopper is I have never heard that term before. I do know what the circuit you mentioned is supposed to do and there are many more like it.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The component described in the datasheet is a thru-hole component. The transition away from thru-hole components began 25-30 years ago. If by "newer alternative" you mean a surface mount part, then yes newer alternatives undoubtedly exist.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The component described in the datasheet is a thru-hole component. The transition away from thru-hole components began 25-30 years ago. If by "newer alternative" you mean a surface mount part, then yes newer alternatives undoubtedly exist.
I think you didn't read even the first page of the datasheet. The surface mount version is at the bottom. The OP clearly said it is discontinued.

You claim the part is undoubtedly available, could you please point us to an example part number?

The Panasonic part was quite unique in its function and the part listed was very convenient to charge to a trigger voltage from a weak solar cell without losing any charge until a trigger voltage where the charged capacitor provides power for a brief moment. And then repeats. I made some of these bots with a middle school class - they loved them and I know a couple have been working for the past 15-years or so - aimlessly popping around a tray on a desk.

Lucky-Luka

Joined Mar 28, 2019
I think you didn't read even the first page of the datasheet. The surface mount version is at the bottom. The OP clearly said it is discontinued.
Thanks to kind and educated people (in other forums) I managed to receive the answer I was looking for without beating around the bush.
I will share it with you.
It looks like TC54VCxxxx IC family and MCP101-xxx IC family both by Microchip will do the job.
I have already ordered several of them and I will try them in a few days.
They are voltage detectors with Active High, Push-Pull configuration.
Oh and they even come in TO-92 format... Imagine my shock.
At least the thread is now useful for those who are reading it.
Cheers

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks to kind and educated people (in other forums) I managed to receive the answer I was looking for without beating around the bush.
It looks like TC54VCxxxx IC family and MCP101-xxx IC family both by Microchip will do the job.
Cheers
I'm glad you were able to find what you needed. I'm sorry if the meaning of my post #4 was unclear. I meant that other vendors had similar parts that could serve as a functional replacement, and you found them. I was not at all sure what package you were interested in.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Cheers
I ordered some MCP101-xxx from Mouser about 10+ years ago. Unfortunately, they shipped the wrong part and I never followed up to try again. Our local school district wanted to go another direction after my group of Parent-Engineers' kids all moved on to high school so we stopped doing cool stuff with kids. I hadn't thought of those things in a long time. Thanks for the memories.

Lucky-Luka

Joined Mar 28, 2019
I'm glad you were able to find what you needed. I'm sorry if the meaning of my post #4 was unclear. I meant that other vendors had similar parts that could serve as a functional replacement, and you found them. I was not at all sure what package you were interested in.
I didn't care about the package. I just needed a newer alternative because they don't produce those IC anymore...
English is not my first language but I thought I was clear.
btw I just bought both them in TO-92 and SOT-89 packages.

Lucky-Luka

Joined Mar 28, 2019
I ordered some MCP101-xxx from Mouser about 10+ years ago. Unfortunately, they shipped the wrong part and I never followed up to try again. Our local school district wanted to go another direction after my group of Parent-Engineers' kids all moved on to high school so we stopped doing cool stuff with kids. I hadn't thought of those things in a long time. Thanks for the memories.
I have found some videos on YT and I found those little creatures funny to build.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
I have found some videos on YT and I found those little creatures funny to build.
The 14-year old kids didn't exactly understand every nuance of the circuit but they did understand the charge and release concept. And they had a good time building some of the designs on the original Beam bot website.

Lucky-Luka

Joined Mar 28, 2019
The 14-year old kids didn't exactly understand every nuance of the circuit but they did understand the charge and release concept. And they had a good time building some of the designs on the original Beam bot website.
It's a pity that website is now abandoned and several links don't work anymore. It looks like beat robotics isn't attractive anymore.