Battery versus power supply

hamedhm

Joined May 14, 2021
I have a 12v cordless drill with a dead battery.

I googled the battery and figured out that the battery is 12v 24w 2A. On the other hand, I have a little power supply that says 12v 30w 3A which obviously is higher than the battery power. However, the power supply barely turns the drill. This issue of Battery-Power supply has made me puzzled for a long time. Can someone clarifies this issue to me please?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
You’ve misread the battery specifications, which I thnk you will find if you look more carefully. The last figure is “2Ah”, which is Amp Hours, a measure of capacity not maximum current delivery. The battery can produce more current than the power supply, probably quite a bit more.

Batteries do have a manimus current delivery capability but it is not relevant to the ordinary labeling which will provide capacity numbers, Wh (Watt Hours) and Ah (Amp Hours)

However this may not be the only problem. The power supply’s rating may be overstated as well.

hamedhm

Joined May 14, 2021
Thanks Yaakov.

Is there any way like a formula that we will be able to convert the battery to power supply? I think that cording a cordless drill is much more efficient/cheaper than buying batteries every so offten.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Thanks Yaakov.

Is there any way like a formula that we will be able to convert the battery to power supply? I think that cording a cordless drill is much more efficient/cheaper than buying batteries every so offten.
No, what you need to know is the peak current used by the drill motor when it’s is operating. I think a cheap corded drill would cost you less than a reliable power supply that will power the drill properly. In your position, I’d shop for a drill not a PS.