Battery to allow Windows to shutdown only

Keith Michalowski

Joined Feb 18, 2019
Can you recommend a very small 12V rechargeable smart battery capable of keeping a Windows 10 Pentium computer running long enough to properly shutdown Windows once power is removed? My processor module will provide all of the other necessary voltages.

Keith Michalowski

Joined Feb 18, 2019
Given the possibility of loss of power I will need the device to draw its power from the battery while maintaining the necessary power on the battery to shutdown Windows

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Since you only need the power for a short period of time, I suggest 9AA NiMH batteries as the cheapest solution.
They can be kept on trickle charge with a resistor from the 12V supply.
But use a charge current no more than .05C where C is the Ah battery capacity. Thus if the battery is 2000mAh, the maximum trickle charge would be 100mA.

Use a Schottky to isolate the battery from the supply.

Keith Michalowski

Joined Feb 18, 2019
Since you only need the power for a short period of time, I suggest 9AA NiMH batteries as the cheapest solution.
They can be kept on trickle charge with a resistor from the 12V supply.
But use a charge current no more than .05C where C is the Ah battery capacity. Thus if the battery is 2000mAh, the maximum trickle charge would be 100mA.

Use a Schottky to isolate the battery from the supply.
Thank you for this great information. It’s super helpful!

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Would it be easier to just get an over the counter UPS that comes with software to initiate a shut down the computer when the mains fails?

Keith Michalowski

Joined Feb 18, 2019
Would it be easier to just get an over the counter UPS that comes with software to initiate a shut down the computer when the mains fails?
I'm afraid the application requires the device to be self contained I cannot add on external items.

Further, after working thru the issue, I see now that the device will have to 1st acknowledge the loss of power and give the user time to consider adding the power back before going into shutdown (30-60 seconds). Then I expect to send a command prompt shutdown to get the device shutdown as quick as possible.

Thanks to everyone for their time on this question. I really appreciate your expertise.