Battery rebuild

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by specklehunter, Nov 16, 2014.

1. specklehunter

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but............I have a pile of power tool batteries that are bad and am trying to save a few bucks and rebuild them myself. I bought some 2.8 mah sub c nicad batteries to rebuild a pack that was originally rated at 2.4(which I assume is fine to do). I organized the batteries like the old ones and soldered them in place. When I put them on charge, they charged for about five minutes and the charger cut off saying fully charged. I attached it to my drill and it had very little power. It turned the drill but I could stop it by hand, which I shouldn't be able to do. I then tried a different charger and the same thing happened. So now I am puzzled. Are the batteries bad? Well.....it is an 18 volt pack so I used 15 1.2 volt batteries and they are checking at 21 volts. I'm not sure why its too high but I assume that's okay. Could the chargers be bad? Could the thermistor n the pack be bad? I'm at a loss as to what to do next..........Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. specklehunter

Nov 16, 2014
    This is a Milwaukee battery and charger by the way.

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    A "2.8 mah" NiCd battery is a very small battery. Are you sure? I have never seen a sub-C NiCd that small.

Are you sure they are NiCd's? If the charger is designed for a different chemistry, e.g., Li-ion, it may not work well with NiCd's. How do you know they are NiCd's?

Can you post a picture of your re-built batteries?

John

4. specklehunter

Nov 16, 2014
    It should have been 2.8 ah. sorry. They are definitely nicads and I am using the stock multi chemistry charger that came with the product.

5. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
  6. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    I've ran into that problem a few times when rebuilding stock Craftsman battery packs with a higher capacity and quality type of cell.

The thing I do once the battery pack is assembled and working is to put a moderately sized low resistance load on it and let it suck the battery flat dead overnight then put it on the charger for a full 24 hours. A lot of times they will go green within a few minutes then switch back to red charge mode over the next few hours and charge up all the way.