Battery options?

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Hi all,

I'm looking for a suitable battery to power my project, obviously I want very lightweight, small dimensions and everlasting power!:D:confused:

After hunting through the rs website and not really finding much, it was onto ebay, replacement ipod batteries look quite tempting, my project uses a pic and a few i2c components along with a rf module, the rf will only be on for a short period and draws around 25mA, everything else is very low power.

Has anyone used ipod batteries? mobile phone ones look good too but some of the ipod batteries have leads on them, and looking at the pictures seem to have a charging circuit built in?

Dimensions would be handy too? google didn't turn much up regarding size. I have 55x35x6 mm avalible:p

Cheers Geoff

geoffers

Joined Oct 25, 2010
Thanks Ron,

Looks good, the only problem I can see is the minimum order of 1000 pieces! I don't know much about batteries, what type am I best to go for, do li po ones, (like the ipod or Rons) hold their charge over a long period?

It will be mainly very low draw with a perhaps daily turn on of the rf module. I'd like it to last as long as possible between charges, I'd prefer it not to catch fire when I'm charging?! :), (is that a myth of past li po's?)

Cheers Geoff

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi all,

I'm looking for a suitable battery to power my project, obviously I want very lightweight, small dimensions and everlasting power!:D:confused:

After hunting through the rs website and not really finding much, it was onto ebay, replacement ipod batteries look quite tempting, my project uses a pic and a few i2c components along with a rf module, the rf will only be on for a short period and draws around 25mA, everything else is very low power.

Has anyone used ipod batteries? mobile phone ones look good too but some of the ipod batteries have leads on them, and looking at the pictures seem to have a charging circuit built in?

Dimensions would be handy too? google didn't turn much up regarding size. I have 55x35x6 mm avalible:p

Cheers Geoff
You need to state the average current draw and how long it has to run to pick a battery.

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Thanks Ron,

Looks good, the only problem I can see is the minimum order of 1000 pieces! I don't know much about batteries, what type am I best to go for, do li po ones, (like the ipod or Rons) hold their charge over a long period?

It will be mainly very low draw with a perhaps daily turn on of the rf module. I'd like it to last as long as possible between charges, I'd prefer it not to catch fire when I'm charging?! :), (is that a myth of past li po's?)

Cheers Geoff
There is a cheap rechargeable Li coin cell called LIR2032 that is used in the billions of handheld flashlights made every year. I think they are rated about 20 - 30 mA-hr and are available everywhere pretty cheap.

example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221124725723?lpid=82

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Thanks Ron,

Cheers Geoff
Look a little further on that site, there are plenty of batteries like that one that they sell quantity one for about $5.

Bob