Battery full indicator using opamp

ProfessorEmeritus

Joined Mar 9, 2020
I am trying to build a battery full indicator, but the output of the opamp is erratic and unpredictable. I have added hysteresis and a decoupling Capacitor but the problem still persist…. Sometimes it exceeds the upper threshold significantly before coming ON while some times it doesn't even get close to it before coming ON.

How do I solve this problem?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
An opamp is not a good choice to use as a comparator. Use a good comparator IC and be sure to use bypass capacitors on the power supply connections. That should help.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am trying to build a battery full indicator, but the output of the opamp is erratic and unpredictable. I have added hysteresis and a decoupling Capacitor but the problem still persist…. Sometimes it exceeds the upper threshold significantly before coming ON while some times it doesn't even get close to it before coming ON.

How do I solve this problem?
OK, but since the attachment is not visible to me, how about a verbal description of the circuit? I have done several of those and some of the folks have had the visualization skills to see it, and others the ability to draw it.
But really. There are several potential sources of grief, starting with that op amps make only "fair" quality comparators, since they tend to be used for linear applications while comparators are intended to output either hi or lo, and to do it accurately and quickly.
A comparison: I can drive a screw with a hammer and I can drive a nail with a screwdriver, but in neither case are the results as good as using the right tool.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
He doesn't even say what battery chemistry. Lead-acid, Ni-Cad, Ni-MH, Lithium-ion or lemon juice.
A lithium-ion battery is no where near fully charged when its voltage reaches its maximum.
Also there was not one word about the battery voltage. 1.2V or 120V?

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Looking at the attachment " This ", it appears that the V ref. is not stable. Might try something like
LM336Z, 2.5V, or LM385Z, 1.235 V.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Several companies make and sell IC devices made for that very purpose. Linear Technology and ST are the ones whose products I have seen, but others have them also. So worst case you can buy an IC made for exactly that application.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Several companies make and sell IC devices made for that very purpose. Linear Technology and ST are the ones whose products I have seen, but others have them also. So worst case you can buy an IC made for exactly that application.
Yeah, like a 40 plus year old LM3914.

I have a hard time relating to a battery as full or empty. Just doesn't sound right. Hell I would just buy a battery level monitor for a few bucks and be done with it.

Ron