Battery for cellphone Sony is swelling...

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The swelling is most times caused by wrong treatment of the battery.
It is time to get rid of it before it explodes and catches fire.

Bertus

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
No. It is at the end of its life. Best to discard it now. If you leave in the phone it could physically distort your phone.
It could also burn the phone to the ground - but I think swollen batteries are the faulty ones that didn't quite go critical.

I'd play safe and get it off the premises, I certainly wouldn't have any more goes at charging it.

The replacement should be kept under observation for a few charge cycles - if the replacement goes the same way; the phone charging system is dodgy.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
it`s me.
How to safety trash it?
Most supermarkets and larger shops have battery recycling bins. Many supermarkets have accessible outdoor scrap containers where a lithium fire would be of less consequence.

For various uses, I salvage lithium cells from the recycling bins, occasionally I find laptop packs with one or more swollen jacketed cells - there hasn't been anything on the news about supermarkets going up in smoke, so it probably isn't a very big danger.

Lithium is a very reactive element that must be handled with care under any circumstances, as a battery its among the highest energy densities available - if all that energy escapes at once; the consequences can be a little too entertaining.

The devices are generally safe as long as you treat them with a bit of common sense, but it doesn't hurt to be a bit wary of damaged or faulty examples.

bulrush

Joined Jan 1, 2017
Get rid of it immediately, get it away from your house. It's done and could actually explode with a lot of energy.

The swelling basically says "Oh hello! I'm going to explode soon."

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Get rid of it immediately, get it away from your house. It's done and could actually explode with a lot of energy.

The swelling basically says "Oh hello! I'm going to explode soon."
Swelling in progress means explosion imminent - swelling that halted means you might just about have dodged the bullet.

But you should continue to be wary of any lithium cells known to be damaged or faulty.

A Motorola (probably counterfeit) from eBay swelled on the first charge - it never at any time worked, but nothing exciting happened.