Battery DoD question.

toffee_pie

Joined Oct 31, 2009
Guys (gals),

hope everyone is well.

A question here.

Say I have a 1350mAh battery and discharge it at 60% DoD

my taking of this is that I keep 40% of the battery or that there is approx 540mAh remaining in it?

thoughts?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
You have to ask yourself if you believe that is what the numbers mean? If you believe that, then you can go through the rest of your life in a state of total happiness. What is actually happening is that a battery delivers it's most useful performance at the beginning of the discharge cycle. By the time it gets to the end of the cycle it is on crutches, barely able to crawl, let alone walk.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Seems obvious to me. The other 40% is still in there, if you are willing to use it as the battery voltage declines and the battery suffers life shortening damage when you take it to zero charge. Reminds me of a scene from a movie. "I canno' cap'n, the batteries won't take the strain!"

Looking from the other end, it will need more than the 60% you used to recharge the battery because there is always inefficiency in the re-charge process.

toffee_pie

Joined Oct 31, 2009
yeah, I am aware of the discharge consequences. Its just some people refer to DoD in different ways, I am just gauging what actual capacity is left, my answer seems right. which is all i want really.

just out of interest this is.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
"If you can't keep up with the conversation...you better not try to join in at all."
Hannibal Lecter. :D

Sorry. Couldn't resist another Movie Quotation. :oops:

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
learn circuits?
When Yoda, a character from the Star Wars trilogy, spoke he would often invert the position of the subject and predicate. This is common in languages that use endings to specify the case of nouns and the conjugation of verbs. In English we don't use endings on words to convey case and person, we use word order. Putting the predicate (verb) before the subject (noun) sounds strange to the ear. That is why it was supposed to be funny. If you found it offensive, then I apologize.

It is also a play on computer languages that use Polish Postfix notation. The actual cartoon drawing I remember was a picture of Yoda with a copy of a book on Fourth, which is an actual computer programming language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forth_(programming_language)

The caption on the cartoon was: "Learn FOURTH quickly, I will". It is also amusing to contemplate the reasons why a Jedii master would need to learn a programming language.

Last edited: