Battery Desulfator - SgtWookie's version of Alastair Couper design

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Thanks Bertus for the link.

I came across this circuit http://www.thompdale.com/battery_charger/desulfator/desulfator.htm
which provides a sequence of steps as described therein

"The planned cycle has four steps.
The first step is to pulse the battery for 15 seconds using a Charged-Induced-Pulse described by desufonator2.
The second step is a settling period of 1 second.
Third is a 100 microsecond pulse that shorts the battery (180 amps?) to remove dendrites.
And finally, a 5 second period to measure the battery voltage."

I am considering to build a circuit around Arduino, based on this idea replacing the battery voltage measurement circuit with battery internal resistance measurement circuit below:

2018-10-21.png

I would like to have some valued, expert comments on:

a) the desulphator circuit (the one shown in the link with LTSpice schematic) which has 4 inductors unlike others which have 2 or 1 inductors.
b) the duration of each step (first 3 steps).
c) shortening of battery terminals

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
I am about to start my project but, I stuck at the first instant.

Since, most of the desulphator circuits are 555 based and the driving frequency is 1000-10000 kHz; I am little confused over what frequency shud I use to drive the mosfet. Would 5% ON time for N-channel mosfet be okay to start with?

Will the mosfet get warm under normal operation, I mean if everything is in order i.e. the frequency, the ON time, the inductor turns etc ?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Build the circuit shown , and modify it accordingly, there are plenty on youtube that are near enough all the same 555 circuit fully working,. The mosfet is on for 33mS, off for 750mS, 1273 Hz.

Here is one from Elektor 311 book, fully operational.DSC_0123.JPG DSC_0122.JPG

Last edited:

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Thanks for the schematic. I have already studied this and many other 555 based desulfators, mostly variants of Alastair Couper's design. As mentioned above I am using Arduino to drive the mosfet and other sections.

I repeat my question, will the mosfet get warm under normal operation? It will help me to diagnose if the frequency and mosfet ON time are suitable for the mosfet.

Next, as requested in post #8, I intend to include 3 additional steps as mentioned in this link
http://www.thompdale.com/battery_charger/desulfator/desulfator.htm

I am bit concerned about the step in which the battery terminals are shortened for 100ms. I would like to have some comments on it.

abuhafss

Joined Aug 17, 2010
I would like to have some tips on INDICATION or reading which can tell that the battery has been de-sulphated. There are some circuits which require to measure voltage in milli-volts using external voltmeter but I prefer something which can be displayed on LCD or indication with LEDs.