battery charging using tl431?

dweeb4

Joined Apr 18, 2011
I started a thread about using LT3081 to replace & simplify this TL431 charging circuit for batteries in series & only just discovered the circuit was posted here so believe my question is more appropriate here

"Has anybody tried LT3081 regulators in series to charge each battery independently in a series of batteries? I'm thinking of a simplified version of the circuit using TL431 which performs the same function"?

Mod: created new Thread.
Old Thread:
https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/battery-charging-cutoff-using-tl431.137944/post-1155829

Last edited:

dweeb4

Joined Apr 18, 2011
I don't have an app to draw a schematic but in this schematic of the LT3081, I envisage the connection to ground to actually substituted for negative battery pole connection.It may require clamping diodes + 400ohm limiting resistor to protect SET pin relative to OUT pin voltage.

Here's are the schematic showing each individual TL431 module in the charger
Main differences LT3081 contains internal transistor cascade which gives high current output - the TL431 uses an external PNP transistor to achieve current
Other difference is that TL431 uses voltage ref but LT3081 uses a current ref which is converted to a voltage through the resistor from SET pin to ground (neg battery pole)

Last edited: