Battery charging help

Jonathan1256

Joined Aug 25, 2020
I am working on a project where I am recycling hoverboard parts to make an electric bike. I’m a bit clueless when it comes to battery charging and I know what lithium batteries can do if improperly handled so I would appreciate some help.
The battery included in my hoverboard is a Li-ion 36v 154Wh 4300mAh HY-BSE-1002US. I plan to remove the battery from my bike to charge it. Can I plug the charger (Jetson V8 sport hoverboard charger) directly into the battery (if I adapt the connector), or is there some circuitry built into the main circuit board of the hoverboard that is needed for safe charging?
Also, do you happen to know if this battery pack will automatically disconnect the output once the voltage gets too low to protect the cells? Thanks!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
As far as I have seen hoverboard battery has a BMS. Charger connects directly to it. BMS might disconnect if battery voltage drops.
I dunno what you have so I can't say.
Need to see the battery pack first.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Lithium batteries nearly always have a protection board that saves the battery from overcharging, overcurrent, or over-discharging; most also do balancing, and some have temperature protection. Normally, the charger brick provides the necessary charging profile with current limiting and voltage regulation and stuff, with an LED that changes colour when charging is complete.
So my opinion is that you should be just fine with that battery and charger.

Jonathan1256

Joined Aug 25, 2020
Thank you for everyone’s help. I connected the battery directly to the charger with a reverse protection diode and it charged as it should!