Batch Counting Application

Tofunmi

Joined Mar 22, 2019
I am working on a fluid batch counting application

The function of the Batch Controller RA33 is to control valves using the measured rate of flow of Endress Hauser Flowmeter(Picomag) and to fill a precise volume of the medium into a container.
A value for the preset counter must be entered before batching commences. Batching can then be started by pressing the start button or via the digital input. The flow is measured, the counter calculates the volume and valves are stopped as soon as the specified volume is reached. The value on the preset counter remains for the next run but can be changed manually.

Here lies my challenge:

1. Choosing the right solenoid valve
2. How to control the solenoid valve through the Batch Counter Endress Hauser RA33

The flowmeter has a pulse out and the Batch Counter has relay out which I presume it can be used to control the valve

Please I need advice on how to make this work.

Attached is wiring data sheet for Picomag and RA33
Anticipating your swift response
Thanks

Tofunmi Jerry

Attachments

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Hi Tofunmi, the type of valve will depend very much on the volume and nature of the substance being "batched" but would most likely be 24V DC actuated.

Tofunmi

Joined Mar 22, 2019
Hello Pdm34,
Your response and advise is really appreciated.

The flowmeter can do maximum of 25ltrs/min or 7 gallon/min
Fluid: Processed water

Thanks in anticipation for further support
Thanks alot

Tofunmi

Joined Mar 22, 2019
As well as volume, you will also need to know if there is any pressure to the fluid or does it require a zero pressure (gravity capable ) valve.
LV DC is a good choice 24vdc/12vdc etc.
Max.
Dear MaxHeadRoom,

Thanks alot for the technical input.
The line pressure is at about 2bar because the fluid flow under gravity

Please do you have any particular valve in mind that I can use

Thanks in-anticipation for your technical input

Warm Regards,

Tofunmi

pmd34

Joined Feb 22, 2014
Hi Tofunmi, Ah ok so not a too complicated material!

Then I guess something like a half inch - "1/2" 24V DC solenoid valve" should work for you. If its for a company I would find a more reputable loacl supplier, but to give you an idea of the sort of thing, something like these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/af/1%2F2...22082346&origin=n&catId=0&isViewCP=y&jump=afs

A typical example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2...lgo_pvid=416035be-d450-43fe-b767-cf79b7d99a77

You will see in the technical specifications further down it gives you an idea of the pressure ratings and the typical flow. This particular one might not have enough flow for you so you may find you have to go up to the next size.. say 3/4 inch.

For driving the valve, you might be able to do it directly if the solenoid coil does not take too much power, but otherwise you are best using a relay or solid state relay to do this. You should also put a diode across the relay coil terminals, and the terminals of the solenoid, to short out any back EMF that will result for switching them (this prevents large voltage spikes that can cause interference and potentially harm your electronics.)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Another selection criteria is if it to be used on potable liquid, I have picked up the cheaper versions on ebay, 1/2" PVC Schedule 40 thread, they usually specify in the description as to on what it can be used with and the lowest pressure or gravity capable.
Max.

Tofunmi

Joined Mar 22, 2019

Then I guess something like a half inch - "1/2" 24V DC solenoid valve" should work for you. If its for a company I would find a more reputable loacl supplier, but to give you an idea of the sort of thing, something like these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/af/1%2F2%22-24-water-solenoid-valve.html?SearchText=1/2"+24+water+solenoid+valve&d=y&initiative_id=SB_20190322082346&origin=n&catId=0&isViewCP=y&jump=afs

A typical example:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-2...lgo_pvid=416035be-d450-43fe-b767-cf79b7d99a77

You will see in the technical specifications further down it gives you an idea of the pressure ratings and the typical flow. This particular one might not have enough flow for you so you may find you have to go up to the next size.. say 3/4 inch.

For driving the valve, you might be able to do it directly if the solenoid coil does not take too much power, but otherwise you are best using a relay or solid state relay to do this. You should also put a diode across the relay coil terminals, and the terminals of the solenoid, to short out any back EMF that will result for switching them (this prevents large voltage spikes that can cause interference and potentially harm your electronics.)

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/1%2F2%22-24-water-solenoid-valve.html?SearchText=1/2"+24+water+solenoid+valve&d=y&initiative_id=SB_20190322082346&origin=n&catId=0&isViewCP=y&jump=afs

A typical example:

Hello PMD34,

Thanks alot for taking out time to support me on this.