Bass guitar compressor-Sustain sustain control

Bigbizkit

Joined Oct 29, 2015
hi, i made an orange squeezer comp by tonepad
when i adjust the SUSTAIN knob to low or below 50% the volume also go down, as in zero output sound. its like the sustain knob has become a gain control..
ya think thats normal?
I used 2n5486 as a replacement for the original 2n5457 fet transistor(availability issue)
1n270 for 1n34a
Did some mods too
Output cap 4.7uf to 1uf
Bleeder cap 4.7uf to 10uf
Feedback resistor 220k to 200k
Mods on the tonepad site.
Thank you in advance guys.

Attachments

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
@Bigbizkit
How did you wire the circuit around Q2? There appears to be something missing there. I see an arrow that is normally associated with a pot but no resistor portion of the pot. The connections between source and gate on Q2 seems odd as well.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
@Bigbizkit
How did you wire the circuit around Q2? There appears to be something missing there. I see an arrow that is normally associated with a pot but no resistor portion of the pot. The connections between source and gate on Q2 seems odd as well.
Q2 looks OK to me - its wired as a current source, the source current develops a voltage across its resistor and the gate to the bottom of that resistor ends up negative WRT the source. If you just shorted the gate and source together, it would still be a current source at the IDss stated on the datasheet.