Basic Programming info needed

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Do any of you remember the old TRS-80 from Radio Shack?
Radio Shack offered a class in their stores at night on how to program in Basic.
Do any of you have the book that they used...and would you like to sell it?
I cant find anything in print that actually takes a student thru the process of Programming Step by Step like that workbook did...
I took the class but it was in 1978 or something.....
Or....do any of you have an old book on how to program in Basic...?
Not virtual Basic....just the original Basic...
thanks
D.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I have the "laptop" version of the TRS. It's supposedly contains a BASIC interpreter that Bill Gates himself had a hand in coding.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Thanks Ernie and LDC...
Im looking for a workbook or some such text that I can use to learn Basic.
I don't want to buy a pig in a poke...so Im not going to buy anything on Amazon.
I plan to take a road trip to Dallas and go to Half Price Books....they have a huge store there and I may find something.
Ive tried the small book stores in my town....actually in a town 45 miles away and they have nothing...
So Im just looking around....
D.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Tracecom let me borrow a Pixaxe programmer which I still have on my desk.
As I understand it, Picaxe uses a programming language that is a little different from Basic and is supposed to be a even more user friendly.....is that right?
I know there are a few books on programming their chips specifically....
Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?
Ive decided to go with their hardware...so.....
Anybody a fan of Picaxe...?
Don't they have a Forum....?

elec_mech

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Unfortunately I haven't had much in the way of time at home to test and debug the code for your solenoid project, but I can offer some immediate help here.

Don't they have a Forum....?
http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/forum.php

Fantastic forum - I go here whenever I hit a wall with a PICAXE issue I can't figure out. Much like AAC, they are very open and helpful.

No sense in spending money if you don't need to. I'd suggest perusing the PICAXE manuals found here.

Section 1 is a good intro. Section 2 is all about the code and commands. Section 3 contains several interesting working programs.

I haven't purchased it, but if I've eyed this book if you want to get your hands on something and have someone show you step-by-step.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Elec Mech.....
No prob on our project....Deer season is almost upon us here in Louisiana...and Everything stops for that....
Ive never shot a deer and don't want to...but many of the kids and parents in the 4H program are hunters and so we've got some time before any of them will be wanting to shoot pop up targets...
That gives me some time to play and learn......
Yep....I saw that book too...I'll look for it at Half Price Books...if they don't have one...I'll go ahead and buy it from Amazon....
I'll start using the PicAxe forum too.....
Thanks for checking in.....the project is still a GO.....
D.

dthx

Joined May 2, 2013
Thank you Kermit2....
You'll get a bunch of Karma for sending me that.
I've printed it out and will read it before I look at the picaxe stuff...
Im sure it will help me.
1968....that's as far back as I can remember...
I took a fortran course at the Univ. of Houston in 1972....
Back then they had key punch cards on which to write the programs...then you would put a rubber band around the cards and give them to the Nerds behind the glass wall.....where resided the reel to reels......The Big Momma.....
Then in a few days ....you would pick up your program on computer sheets.....the program never worked cause of bugs...and you had to stand in line again for to use the key punch machines again.....
It was so time consuming...I didn't stay with it....wish I had though.....I would be a computer God by now.....
Like all of you.....
Anyway, thanks very much for the manual...Idefinately put it to good use...
D.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
@dthx: we had those same cards when I was in college. I was 2 counties away from the mainframe (IBM 360 AFAIK) connected by phone lines. At best you got your printout an hour after you gave it in. THIS after using video terminals in high school: major step backwards.

One summer when no classes were in session I was there and was allowed to run my own job. Several hundred cards went thru the hopper in seconds, and before the last card came to rest the printer spun to life and wrote my output.

Wow, computers really are fast!